Re: [toyota-prius] Re:CD Changer stuck & stereo

  • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2008
      Karl <joes_morgue@...> wrote: > Sometimes on hot days a CD will get stuck in my CD player. Usually
      the
      > homemade one with the stick on lables. I have to wait for the cool
      > mourning to get it to eject.
      >
      > Aaron
      > '02 Prius
      > 97K miles
      > E-10 works fine in my Prius.

      Old Folks at Home

    • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2008
        Often, driving in a slow funeral procession, you need something to occupy your attention...

        "Dave, NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote: It's because it is very hard to get the label centered perfectly and not
        have the CD unbalanced.

        Dave, NJ4F
        Hollywood, SC

        Recent Activity

        24
        New Members

        Visit Your Group
        Health Zone
        Look your best!
        Groups to help you
        look & feel great.

        Yahoo! Finance
        It's Now Personal
        Guides, news,
        advice & more.

        Special K Group
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Learn how others
        are losing pounds.

        .

        Old Folks at Home

      • Dave, NJ4F
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2008
          touche!

          Dave, NJ4F
          Hollywood, SC

          "Dave, NJ4F" <nj4f@...> wrote:
          It's because it is very hard to get the label centered perfectly and not
          have the CD unbalanced.

          Dave, NJ4F
          Hollywood, SC

          Recent Activity
          a.. 24New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Health Zone
          Look your best!
          Groups to help you
          look & feel great.
          Yahoo! Finance
          It's Now Personal
          Guides, news,
          advice & more.
          Special K Group
          on Yahoo! Groups
          Learn how others
          are losing pounds..

          Old Folks at Home

        • swpeng
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9, 2009
            Hello All. I just went thru this thread & didn't find an answer to my problem.

            I have an '05. Standard single disc CD player stereo. My homemade CDs have been getting stuck when I put them in the slot. I do NOT use sticker labels on them. I ONLY use a black Sharpie to label them.

            My warranty is almost up. Should I have it looked at? Or does anyone have any ideas please?

            Thanks in advance.

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "stayed2" <stayed@...> wrote:

            > My CD changer is stuck - can't load, eject or play. Also, the stereo
            > sounds like the speakers are not working right. The car has only 9000
            > miles so its still under warranty. But I'm perplexed about what could
            > be going on. Anyone else have this problem?
            > Debbie
            > '07 Silver

          • Stan Horwitz
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
              On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:46 PM, swpeng wrote:
              > Hello All. I just went thru this thread & didn't find an answer to
              > my problem.
              >
              > I have an '05. Standard single disc CD player stereo. My homemade
              > CDs have been getting stuck when I put them in the slot. I do NOT
              > use sticker labels on them. I ONLY use a black Sharpie to label them.
              >
              > My warranty is almost up. Should I have it looked at? Or does anyone
              > have any ideas please?

              Why not take your car in for warranty service? That way, if there is
              a problem with your CD changer, you can have it repaired while the
              warranty is still in effect.
            • Michael Pardee
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "swpeng" <swpeng@...> wrote:

                > Hello All. I just went thru this thread & didn't find an answer to my problem.
                >
                > I have an '05. Standard single disc CD player stereo. My homemade CDs have been getting stuck when I put them in the slot. I do NOT use sticker labels on them. I ONLY use a black Sharpie to label them.
                >
                > My warranty is almost up. Should I have it looked at? Or does anyone have any ideas please?
                >
                > Thanks in advance.

                My guess is the disks are not readable. When that happens the player gets so tied up trying to determine what is in the slot it won't do anything, including ejecting. (I've had that problem with badly scratched CDs.)

                Since it happens with the homemade CDs I think you have a problem with the burn process. Marginal media, a bad burner, or maybe even the session wasn't closed?

                Mike
              • Karl
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                  We do the same thing for our minivan. We have several disks that we use on a regular basis, both in the CD changer, and the DVD drive, and never had a problem.

                  I recommend taking it in. I bet that if you use pre-recorded disks more often, you will have the same problem with them too..

                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "swpeng" <swpeng@...> wrote:

                  > Hello All. I just went thru this thread & didn't find an answer to my problem.
                  >
                  > I have an '05. Standard single disc CD player stereo. My homemade CDs have been getting stuck when I put them in the slot. I do NOT use sticker labels on them. I ONLY use a black Sharpie to label them.
                  >
                  > My warranty is almost up. Should I have it looked at? Or does anyone have any ideas please?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "stayed2" <stayed@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My CD changer is stuck - can't load, eject or play. Also, the stereo
                  > > sounds like the speakers are not working right. The car has only 9000
                  > > miles so its still under warranty. But I'm perplexed about what could
                  > > be going on. Anyone else have this problem?
                  > > Debbie
                  > > '07 Silver

                • Karl
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                    Its been a while, but I thinks I have used open session CDs of MP3s in my Prius.

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pardee" <flagmichael@...> wrote:

                    > My guess is the disks are not readable. When that happens the player gets so tied up trying to determine what is in the slot it won't do anything, including ejecting. (I've had that problem with badly scratched CDs.)
                    >
                    > Since it happens with the homemade CDs I think you have a problem with the burn process. Marginal media, a bad burner, or maybe even the session wasn't closed?
                    >
                    > Mike

                  • Mark Binder
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                      I have burned many hundreds of cdrs and have had almost no trouble with them
                      in any of my cd players, including the one in our '01.

                      What speed are you burning at? I have found that the fastest I can burn and
                      play cdrs in literally any player is 32x.I have found no need to try any
                      faster burning, since 32x is quite fast.

                      Mark

                      _____

                      --- In toyota-prius@ <mailto:toyota-prius%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, "swpeng" <swpeng@...> wrote:

                      > Hello All. I just went thru this thread & didn't find an answer to my
                      problem.

                      > I have an '05. Standard single disc CD player stereo. My homemade CDs have
                      been getting stuck when I put them in the slot. I do NOT use sticker labels
                      on them. I ONLY use a black Sharpie to label them.

                      > My warranty is almost up. Should I have it looked at? Or does anyone have
                      any ideas please?

                      > Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > --- In toyota-prius@ <mailto:toyota-prius%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com, "stayed2" <stayed@> wrote:

                      > > My CD changer is stuck - can't load, eject or play. Also, the stereo
                      > > sounds like the speakers are not working right. The car has only 9000
                      > > miles so its still under warranty. But I'm perplexed about what could
                      > > be going on. Anyone else have this problem?
                      > > Debbie
                      > > '07 Silver

                    • Michael Pardee
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Binder" <binders@...> wrote:

                        > I have burned many hundreds of cdrs and have had almost no trouble with them
                        > in any of my cd players, including the one in our '01.
                        >

                        > What speed are you burning at? I have found that the fastest I can burn and
                        > play cdrs in literally any player is 32x.I have found no need to try any
                        > faster burning, since 32x is quite fast.
                        >

                        > Mark

                        Definitely use lower speed if problems are showing up. Some burners also have weak lasers that require lower speeds yet.

                        Besides the speed, there was a flap a while back about the type of dye used in various media. Either the blue or the green dye - I forget which - was considered funky but I'd hope that was settled by now.

                        Mike
                      • Karl
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                          My brother-in-law's truck will not play any copied disks. Custom made, or just copies of origionals. Or so he tells me. I don't understand, but...

                          The few times we needed his truck, he followed me in mine.

                          All the disks I have burned have been at whatever the system decided to do. All burns were with a DVD-R drive that could CD-RW (like thats new) My Prius has ONE disk with 225 MP3s, burned to a CD-R. I have thought about using an RW disk with .WMAs on it, but I wants a disk at least 1/2 full, and my listening preferences are so varied that its hard to find a single Genre with enough songs I like to do it.

                          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Binder" <binders@...> wrote:

                          > I have burned many hundreds of cdrs and have had almost no trouble with them
                          > in any of my cd players, including the one in our '01.
                          >

                          > What speed are you burning at? I have found that the fastest I can burn and
                          > play cdrs in literally any player is 32x.I have found no need to try any
                          > faster burning, since 32x is quite fast.
                          >

                          > Mark
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Mark Binder
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 13, 2009
                            I have about 2200 live grateful dead concerts digitally, about 1800 "dead
                            family" concerts, and around 2000 of everybody else from folk to blues to
                            jazz to bluegrass, since I am a programmer at a sarasota low-power fm radio
                            station ( www.wslr.org <http://www.wslr.org/> ) and play a live grateful
                            dead concert from that day in history every Monday night 7-9 p.m. est.and
                            can fill in for many other types of shows.

                            But there are all high-quality concerts.not an mp3 amongs them.I have to
                            convert the files ( .shn or .flac ) to .wav files to burn a cd, and I burn a
                            full concert to a set.

                            The odd times I need mp3s(I have done stuff like, "when the british invasion
                            hit britain), starting in '63, I have been able to find mp3s of literally
                            every tune I needed from '63-'69, and simply burn audio disks as such, still
                            limited to the 80 minutes each.

                            Then again, when in the cars we either listen to concerts or play
                            commercially-produced cds.

                            The only ones I have ever had trouble with was the extremely rare cdr that
                            had a burn-process error that didn't come up at the burn or a cdr that had
                            physical problems unto itself.

                            I'm not even sure we own an mp3 player,altho we do have the little mp3
                            walkman-type players.2G apiece, with slots for additional micro cards.

                            Funny 'bout that truck, tho.I've never found a straight-copied cd that would
                            not play anywhere.

                            Mark

                            _____