Re: Offering a jump-start?

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
      Before I seriously started thinking about the Prius, (if at all) my
      wife bought a jump start kit that works thru the cigeratte lighter,
      or whatever you call it now.

      IF you are going to jump-start another vehicle with your Prius, I
      recommend using this method, WORSE case, a blown fuse that could cost
      up to a dollar! (OK, that will buy several miles of fuel for a
      Prius :)

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@...>
      wrote:

      > If totally desperate (and she's just too cute...) <G>
      >
      > ONLY as a 'quick charger', NOT staying hooked up while cranking the
      other car; and even then, if you inadvertantly hook up to a shorted
      battery you're still in trouble....

    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <joes_morgue@...> wrote:

        > Before I seriously started thinking about the Prius, (if at all) my
        > wife bought a jump start kit that works thru the cigeratte lighter,
        > or whatever you call it now.
        >
        > IF you are going to jump-start another vehicle with your Prius, I
        > recommend using this method, WORSE case, a blown fuse that could cost
        > up to a dollar! (OK, that will buy several miles of fuel for a
        > Prius :)

        The fuse things sounds good, but this cigarette-lighter jumpstart kit
        is of limited use, as you won't be able to give a jumpstart to all
        other vehicles you may meet that need a jump... There are several
        vehicles that are like the Prius - if the car is off, so are the 12v
        DC "cigaratte lighter" accessory outlet(s). If the outlet is switched
        off, no power will flow either way to/from that outlet to/from the 12v
        battery, so therefore this jumpstart solution will not work.

        For example, if you needed to jumpstart your Prius from another car
        using the above cigarette-lighter kit, it wouldn't work on the Prius
        unless you had modified your Prius' 12v outlets to be always-on or had
        installed a separate 12v outlet receptacle directly wired to the 12v
        battery before attempting the jump.

        The better jumpstart tool would be a small portable jumpstart kit that
        has battery clamps. Charge it once, and leave it in your Prius. You
        can then jumpstart your own Prius without needing a donor car if you
        get stuck somewhere, or you can jumpstart another car without needing
        to attach anything to your Prius (so no Prius fuses to worry about).
        The model I've been using, or similar ones like it, are often marked
        down on sale to about $20. A little more money, and you can get a
        model that has many built-in features, like emergency
        lighting/flashers, a tire inflator, extra 12vDC outlets, and/or a
        larger battery capacity. See my earlier post
        http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/message/107796 and
        check out the other posts within that thread.
      • Karl
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2008
          I agree about the jumpstart kit, but I don't usually carry stuff to
          help other motorists. Just what I need to get me going.

          The instructions on the the kit my wife bought says have both cars
          with the key turned on to the first click for that reason.

          Its slow, but slow is better than nothing.

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur"
          <mrv@...> wrote:

          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <joes_morgue@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Before I seriously started thinking about the Prius, (if at all)
          my
          > > wife bought a jump start kit that works thru the cigeratte
          lighter,
          > > or whatever you call it now.
          > >
          > > IF you are going to jump-start another vehicle with your Prius, I
          > > recommend using this method, WORSE case, a blown fuse that could
          cost
          > > up to a dollar! (OK, that will buy several miles of fuel for a
          > > Prius :)
          >
          > The fuse things sounds good, but this cigarette-lighter jumpstart
          kit
          > is of limited use, as you won't be able to give a jumpstart to all
          > other vehicles you may meet that need a jump... There are several
          > vehicles that are like the Prius - if the car is off, so are the 12v
          > DC "cigaratte lighter" accessory outlet(s). If the outlet is
          switched
          > off, no power will flow either way to/from that outlet to/from the
          12v
          > battery, so therefore this jumpstart solution will not work.
          >
          > For example, if you needed to jumpstart your Prius from another car
          > using the above cigarette-lighter kit, it wouldn't work on the Prius
          > unless you had modified your Prius' 12v outlets to be always-on or
          had
          > installed a separate 12v outlet receptacle directly wired to the 12v
          > battery before attempting the jump.
          >
          > The better jumpstart tool would be a small portable jumpstart kit
          that
          > has battery clamps. Charge it once, and leave it in your Prius.
          You
          > can then jumpstart your own Prius without needing a donor car if you
          > get stuck somewhere, or you can jumpstart another car without
          needing
          > to attach anything to your Prius (so no Prius fuses to worry
          about).
          > The model I've been using, or similar ones like it, are often marked
          > down on sale to about $20. A little more money, and you can get a
          > model that has many built-in features, like emergency
          > lighting/flashers, a tire inflator, extra 12vDC outlets, and/or a
          > larger battery capacity. See my earlier post
          > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/message/107796 and
          > check out the other posts within that thread.

        • Gary Novosielski
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2008
            On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Karl <joes_morgue@...> wrote:

            > I agree about the jumpstart kit, but I don't usually carry stuff to
            > help other motorists. Just what I need to get me going.

            Hell of an attitude. In my view, if your car dies, you deserve to just sit
            and rot.

            =Gary

          • Karl
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
              Thanks Gary.

              I really don't do it to be mean, I will help people if I have what I
              need to do it. I just don't carry extra tools. My wife has the
              portable jump box, I don't carry any cables at all...

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Novosielski"