Water Pump Failure at 106,000 miles...???

  • Stephan Jennebach
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      Folks,

      just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
      pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the overflow
      reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
      miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking somewhere and
      needs to be replaced.

      What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems. Could
      they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last time
      that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe the
      Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
      cases" reported?

      Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me to
      keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
      replaced.

      Stephan, in his 2003 Silver Strata Metallic '03 Prius at 106,600 miles
      in hot and humid Rochester, MN
    • Larry Finch
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Stephan Jennebach <stephan@...>wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
        > pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the overflow
        > reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
        > miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking somewhere and
        > needs to be replaced.
        >
        > What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems. Could
        > they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last time
        > that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe the
        > Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
        > cases" reported?
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me to
        > keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
        > replaced.

        Water pump seal failures are common in all cars. Few last even 100L miles,
        so it's a likely suspect if you have coolant loss and no visible leaks.

        best,

        Larry

        --
        Larry Finch

        N 40° 53' 47"
        W 74° 03' 56"

      • Michael Pardee
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          Most water pumps in the Classic Prius make it farther than that, but
          100K miles is still a respectable life for a pump. If the pump is
          leaking, the coolant will be dripping out the "weep hole" (applies
          to all water pumps.) In the Classic Prius the water pump is expertly
          hidden under the intake hose of the air cleaner. The weep hole is
          probably on the bottom of the pump, where the crank pulley blocks
          the view from underneath. But if you could see it, a pink residue
          around the hole would betray the water pump as the culprit.

          I'm sure the coolant, like most coolant, is fluorescent. A look
          under the hood with a black light in darkened conditions should tell
          where the leak is. The pump and hoses are the main suspects.

          Mike

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Stephan Jennebach"
          <stephan@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
          > pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the
          overflow
          > reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
          > miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking somewhere
          and
          > needs to be replaced.
          >
          > What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems.
          Could
          > they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last
          time
          > that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe
          the
          > Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
          > cases" reported?
          >
          > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me
          > keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
          > replaced.
          >
          > Stephan, in his 2003 Silver Strata Metallic '03 Prius at 106,600
          miles
          > in hot and humid Rochester, MN

        • Patrick Wong
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
            Hi Stephan,

            Pls see my comments below.

            <stephan@...> wrote:

            > Could they have done something wrong when they flushed the system
            > last time that would cause it to leak now?

            No.

            > Or is it reasonable to believe the Water Pump is kaput after over
            100,000 miles? Any previous "known cases" reported?

            Yes, other posters have reported this failure. This is not unusual
            at a six-digit odometer reading.

            > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me
            > to keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the
            > pump replaced.

            This is reasonable advice.

            Patrick Wong
          • freshsqueezedsaturns
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Finch" <finches@...>
              wrote:

              > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Stephan Jennebach
              <stephan@...>wrote:

              > > Folks,
              > >
              > > just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
              > > pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the
              overflow
              > > reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
              > > miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking
              somewhere and
              > > needs to be replaced.
              > >
              > > What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems.
              Could
              > > they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last
              time
              > > that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe
              the
              > > Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
              > > cases" reported?
              > >
              > > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me
              > > keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
              > > replaced.
              > >

              > Water pump seal failures are common in all cars. Few last even 100L
              miles,
              > so it's a likely suspect if you have coolant loss and no visible
              leaks.

              > best,
              >
              > Larry
              >

              > --
              > Larry Finch
              >
              > N 40° 53' 47"
              > W 74° 03' 56"

              2001 prius 118758km had water pump done because it was getting
              progressively noisy. Not leaking yet. Toyota Ext warranty didn't
              consider it covered even though 'noise' started within warranty. I
              don't know if they would have preferred it to fail, overheat, fry
              something, then cover it. Had the belt done at the same time. Cost
              299.00 CAD. NC for coolant.
            • Karl
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
                That is SO stupid! When something is making noise, it is saying "I'm
                about to go" and that is when you want to fix it!

                Contact Toyota about it...

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "freshsqueezedsaturns"
                <freshsqueezedsaturns@...> wrote:

                > 2001 prius 118758km had water pump done because it was getting
                > progressively noisy. Not leaking yet. Toyota Ext warranty didn't
                > consider it covered even though 'noise' started within warranty. I
                > don't know if they would have preferred it to fail, overheat, fry
                > something, then cover it. Had the belt done at the same time. Cost
                > 299.00 CAD. NC for coolant.

              • Dallas E. Nanney
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
                  On 7/31 had my 2004 White Prius towed to dealer with Triangle of Death 38,400 mi. Bad water pump all covered by warranty except gas for rental car. I am located in High Desert car is garaged at least 20 hrs a day. I am averaging 47 mpg 95% city driving average speed limit 40 mph lots of stop signs.

                • freshsqueezedsaturns
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <joes_morgue@...> wrote:

                    > That is SO stupid! When something is making noise, it is saying "I'm
                    > about to go" and that is when you want to fix it!
                    >
                    > Contact Toyota about it...
                    >
                    > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "freshsqueezedsaturns"
                    > <freshsqueezedsaturns@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > 2001 prius 118758km had water pump done because it was getting
                    > > progressively noisy. Not leaking yet. Toyota Ext warranty didn't
                    > > consider it covered even though 'noise' started within warranty. I
                    > > don't know if they would have preferred it to fail, overheat, fry
                    > > something, then cover it. Had the belt done at the same time. Cost
                    > > 299.00 CAD. NC for coolant.

                    Guess Toyota only wants you to do preventative maintenance when it is
                    YOUR dime! :)

                    Seriously though, we noticed the noise in warranty, they noticed it
                    when it was louder but out of warranty. I can't fault them because we
                    sit in the car all the time so we would be expected to pick up an
                    unusual or different from the normal, type noise before I'd expect
                    them.

                    HOWEVER, why would one want to wait until it actually failed and
                    potentially left someone stranded possibly requiring a tow, or causing
                    more serious damage....guess we're back to whether it is their dime or
                    ours than answers that question.
                  • Karl
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                      If you can show Toyota you took it in while still under warrenty, it
                      SHOULD be easy to get Toyota to foot the bill.

                      It sounds to me that the dealership made the decision not to do the
                      work under warrenty, not Toyota. If you don't have documents that
                      you tried while under warrenty, ask Toyota anyways...All you lose is
                      a phone call...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <joes_morgue@...> wrote:

                        > If you can show Toyota you took it in while still under warrenty,
                        it
                        > SHOULD be easy to get Toyota to foot the bill.
                        >
                        > It sounds to me that the dealership made the decision not to do the
                        > work under warrenty, not Toyota. If you don't have documents that
                        > you tried while under warrenty, ask Toyota anyways...All you lose
                        is
                        > a phone call...
                        >
                        > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "freshsqueezedsaturns"
                        > <freshsqueezedsaturns@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <joes_morgue@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > That is SO stupid! When something is making noise, it is
                        > saying "I'm
                        > > > about to go" and that is when you want to fix it!
                        > > >
                        > > > Contact Toyota about it...
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "freshsqueezedsaturns"

                        > didn't
                        > warranty. I
                        > fry
                        > Cost
                        > > > >

                        > > Guess Toyota only wants you to do preventative maintenance when
                        it
                        > is
                        > > YOUR dime! :)
                        > >
                        > > Seriously though, we noticed the noise in warranty, they noticed
                        it
                        > > when it was louder but out of warranty. I can't fault them
                        because
                        > we
                        > > sit in the car all the time so we would be expected to pick up an
                        > > unusual or different from the normal, type noise before I'd
                        expect
                        > > them.
                        > >
                        > > HOWEVER, why would one want to wait until it actually failed and
                        > > potentially left someone stranded possibly requiring a tow, or
                        > causing
                        > > more serious damage....guess we're back to whether it is their
                        dime
                        > or
                        > > ours than answers that question.

                        They didn't source the repeated reports of noise to the water pump,
                        all they said is they couldn't hear the noise when we took it in.
                        When it finally got loud enough and constant they noticed it. To be
                        fair we were also dealing with (and continue to this day ~ 3 years
                        later) the annoying steering squeek. Tried strut replacement, tie
                        rod, etc etc but it just continues, particularly when it is hotter
                        outside and turning the steering wheel to the right. We got so
                        frustrated taking it in for this and having it not occur that we
                        finally videotaped it. Once the tech, service Manager saw the video
                        they understood what we were describing...but it still didn't help to
                        get it fixed. Some things I guess you wait for something to fail to
                        identify the cause! :) Oh and the dealer talked to Toyota but they
                        still denied it.
                      • freshsqueezedsaturns
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008