2006 Prius owner and maintenance required light

  • Maia Savorghetti
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
      My "Maintenance Required" light just went off last night after
      returning from about a 300-mile round trip. A quick cross-reference
      with my onwer's manual indicated that it needed an oil change.
      However, my wife had the oil changed just a month ago (we get it done
      every 3,000 miles)and we still have slightly over 1,000 miles before
      the next oil change is required. We have about 50,400 miles on the car.

      My question is: do I give in and get the oil change, or do I take it
      to a dealer to see if this is possibly indicative of the light
      malfunctioning,or some deeper issue? Or is the 2006 Prius programmed
      to set this indicator of after the 50,000 mile threshold has been
      crossed? I should mention that the indicator was flashin after
      start-up the past few times the power button has been depressed for
      start-up, but gone off as the car was ready to go into drive, which
      the handbook said was no cause for alarm)

      I am recovering myself from rotator cuff surgery on the shoulder I
      would be using to drain the oil, so I'm not going to be employing a
      DIY approach to oil change.

      Thanks in advance for a reply.
    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Maia Savorghetti"
        <salivabubble@...> wrote:

        > My "Maintenance Required" light just went off last night after
        > returning from about a 300-mile round trip. A quick cross-reference
        > with my onwer's manual indicated that it needed an oil change.
        > However, my wife had the oil changed just a month ago (we get it done
        > every 3,000 miles)and we still have slightly over 1,000 miles before
        > the next oil change is required. We have about 50,400 miles on the car.
        >
        > My question is: do I give in and get the oil change, or do I take it
        > to a dealer to see if this is possibly indicative of the light
        > malfunctioning,or some deeper issue? Or is the 2006 Prius programmed
        > to set this indicator of after the 50,000 mile threshold has been
        > crossed? I should mention that the indicator was flashin after
        > start-up the past few times the power button has been depressed for
        > start-up, but gone off as the car was ready to go into drive, which
        > the handbook said was no cause for alarm)

        The Maint Reqd light is only on North American NHW20 Prius.

        At 4500 miles since last reset, the Maint Reqd light will blink at you
        on startup (very easy to miss seeing it). At 5000 miles since last
        reset, the Maint Reqd light will stay on solid.

        It's just a reminder by miles that you are due for the next scheduled
        maintenance. It is not smart (doesn't go by time, or do any oil
        analysis), just a mile counter. Usually that is an oil change/tire
        rotation: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/

        Should your dealer forget to reset it, or you go to an independent
        mechanic or DIY, you can reset the light yourself.

        Page 122-123 of the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual (Section 2-5
        "Operation of Instruments and Controls: Gauges, Meters and Service
        Reminder Indicators", item (j) in the "Service reminder indicators and
        warning buzzers" section.)

        http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-screen.html#maintenance

        page 14 of the User-Guide: http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

        Meanwhile, are you a low-mileage driver? The only reason that you'd
        be doing oil changes at less than the 5000 mile intervals (longer in
        countries outside the US) for your 2006 Prius, is that you have
        reached the 6 month alternative before reaching 5000 miles. Or do you
        just like taking the extra time and using more oil?

        (Considering that I did less than 3000 miles total driving on my 2001
        Prius over the last year, which is far short of its 7500mile oil
        change interval, I've been getting the oil changed every 6 months
        instead.)
      • K. B. Eric Riddle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
          First, you are changing your oil WAY too often.  Changing at 5,000 miles is perfectly acceptable and will not hurt anything.  The 'Service Engine Soon' lamp is connected to absolutely nothing but the odometer, and your car will not blow up if its not reset.  It is designed to tell you when you have reached 5,000 miles since the last reset and its time to change the oil.  If you are using Toyota motor oil, it is designed to go 5,000 miles.  Most other major brand oils do the same.  Even Advance Auto Parts, Carquest and Napa store brands actually have Valvoline products in the containers.
          And based on the fact you are diving at least 25,000 miles a year, you can cut you expenses on oil changes by at least three.  Reducing your frequency of oil changing will put less 'footprint' on the earth, which is the point of the Prius, isn't it.

          K. B. Eric Riddle
          1983 GL1100i & CB1000C
          2005 Prius
          2007 HHR & 2004 Ion
          Bellevue, Sarpy County, Nebraska

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2008
            On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Maia Savorghetti <salivabubble@...>
            wrote:

            > My question is: do I give in and get the oil change, or do I take it
            > to a dealer to see if this is possibly indicative of the light
            > malfunctioning,or some deeper issue?

            It's not a malfunction of the light, it's a malfunction of the operator.
            The maintenance interval for oil changes on your vehicle is NOT 3,000 miles,
            it is 5,000 miles.

            Quit wasting oil, and get with the program. Reset the light (RTFM) and
            reset it again at your next oil change. Then the light will be your friend.
            Otherwise it will be a pain in the neck, which is entirely appropriate.

            =Gary

          • Karl
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
              Mine is starting to come on....My SCHEDULED is at 15,800, I'm going to
              wait until 16,000.

              This is my 15K maintance, I don't wanna RTFM...What should I has done?

              Oil
              Tire Rotate
              ???
              ???