Re: [toyota-prius] gas gauge indicator

  • K. B. Eric Riddle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2008
      To answer your questions in reverse order:
      No
      Yes.
      You should calculate distance to empty based on consumption, not the guess guage.

      K. B. Eric Riddle
      1983 GL1100i & CB1000C
      2005 Prius
      2007 HHR & 2004 Ion
      Bellevue, Sarpy County, Nebraska

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008

        I have the UK model, but I understand the US model has a resin bladder in
        the fuel tank to restrict vapourisation of the fuel in the tank. The
        capacity of the tank and density of the fuel change with temperature. (This
        is why racing teams measure fuel by weight - well, mass really - rather than
        by volume.) Still, the capacity is generally reduced only in below-freezing
        temperatures, this shouldn't happen in the summer.

        The manual is a bit unclear but suggests that you should refuel at about
        25%, which I map to when it changes from three blobs to two. This happened
        yesterday on my car, and it took 36 litres (of the 45 capacity) to top it
        off, so there were 9 litres left, or about 20%.

        The supposed reason for this is that the fuel pump, which is in the tank, is
        cooled by the liquid petrol surrounding it. In addition, sediments can build
        up in the bottom of the tank and sucking it up isn't too good for the engine
        even though it is filtered. (Anything getting caught by the fuel filter will
        eventually cause it to clog and reduce fuel pressure, and the filter has to
        be a compromise between trapping small enough particles and having good
        enough fuel flow.)

        For more than you ever wanted to know about the fuel system, see
        http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid13.pdf.

        --
        Mike Dimmick