RE: the Prius as a family car

  • Shirley Richardson-McCourt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
      We, too, are homeschoolers. Our two kids are now teenagers.

      The Prius works well for everyday use. The reality of homeschooling is that,
      as your kids get older, you will be doing more running for different
      lessons, field trips, and other learning opportunities. Then the economy of
      the Prius will really pay off.

      If you can afford to forego the value of the minivan as a trade-in, I would
      keep it. We did, even with the car before the Prius. The combination of the
      economy of the Prius plus having the mininvan for long trips (which, with
      small kids, involves beaucoup "stuff") would certainly be beneficial. We
      also use the minivan to haul home renovation supplies, etc.

      Good luck!

      Shirley (in springlike, overcast SW Ohio)

    • Pam Araki
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2008
        That's what we do too. I have the Prius for every day running around, but I
        keep my Suburban parked in the garage for when I need to take my two teen
        boys and a truckload of their friends or sports gear or whatever to wherever
        they need to go. We don't homeschool, but we are bussssssssssyyyy with all
        their activities and the Prius doesn't quite hack it for six teenage boys at
        once! LOL I just took my older son and a bunch of his friends on a local
        college tour. We couldn't have done that in the Prius ... I was thankful
        we kept our gas-guzzling monstrosity.

        Pam
        '06 Barcelona Red Pkg 8, 24000m and still loving it

        On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Shirley Richardson-McCourt <
        bachdiva@...> wrote:

        > We, too, are homeschoolers. Our two kids are now teenagers.
        >
        > The Prius works well for everyday use. The reality of homeschooling is
        > that,
        > as your kids get older, you will be doing more running for different
        > lessons, field trips, and other learning opportunities. Then the economy
        > of
        > the Prius will really pay off.
        >
        > If you can afford to forego the value of the minivan as a trade-in, I
        > would
        > keep it. We did, even with the car before the Prius. The combination of
        > the
        > economy of the Prius plus having the mininvan for long trips (which, with
        > small kids, involves beaucoup "stuff") would certainly be beneficial. We
        > also use the minivan to haul home renovation supplies, etc.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > Shirley (in springlike, overcast SW Ohio)

      • Eric W. Metzler
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2008
          Hmm, now that kids are off to college, I got me a smart fortwo and will
          only use my wife's 04 Prius when we need to haul a lot of bulky stuff
          or carry a kayak, etc.
          ;-) Eric in Enfield, Maine

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Araki" <paraki@...> wrote:

          > That's what we do too. I have the Prius for every day running
          around, but I
          > keep my Suburban parked in the garage for when I need to take my two
          teen
          > boys and a truckload of their friends or sports gear or whatever to
          wherever
          > they need to go.
        • Florian Steiper
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008
            Eric W. Metzler wrote:
            > Hmm, now that kids are off to college, I got me a smart fortwo and will
            > only use my wife's 04 Prius when we need to haul a lot of bulky stuff
            > or carry a kayak, etc.

            And does the Smart get a better mileage than the Prius ? ;)

            ciao

            Florian
          • Karl
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2008
              I've looked at the ForTwo, and you have my sympathy....

              :)

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Eric W. Metzler"