driving in the mountians

  • onlocation58
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
      just put the first tsank of gas in out new Prius, we live in the low
      country and I would like to know how the csr drives in the mountians
      of the western US?

      Larry
      Charleston, SC
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        PLENTY of torque in those electric motors!

        And the energy you recover on the downhills is a pleasant bonus.

        >just put the first tsank of gas in out new Prius, we live in the low
        >country and I would like to know how the csr drives in the mountians
        >of the western US?
        >
        >Larry
        >Charleston, SC

      • Doug Schaefer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "onlocation58" <onlocation58@...>
          wrote:
          >...I would like to know how the csr drives in the mountians
          > of the western US?

          2001 Prius has taken me (and substantial payloads) to about 11000 feet
          there. I'd say it's up to the task. Never got to Pike's Peak (a bit
          higher) but others have posted favorable reports.

          Your newer model provides a bit more power, and is a bit quieter under
          heavy load on the uphill side. A pretty good csr :)

          DAS
        • John Morgan
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
            Lots of mountain experience in Oregon's Cascades, which means pass levels of
            4,500 to 5,000 feet. 32-34 mpg going up and 56-58 mpg going down. I have no
            issue maintaining speed at 60-65 and I can pass easily. Lots of torque. The
            engine is pretty noisy on grades as it maintains higher RPM's. I have lots
            of severe winter miles in the mountains, using Nokian WR snow tires, with
            absolutely no problems.

            John

            2007 Barcelona Red Touring

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              We have 2 2002s (the sedan model) and live in northern Arizona at 7000
              ft. We love them. We have taken one of them with a little more than
              full rated load (5 adults plus baggage) to Washington state and it did
              just fine.

              Mike

              wrote:

              > just put the first tsank of gas in out new Prius, we live in the low
              > country and I would like to know how the csr drives in the mountians
              > of the western US?
              >
              > Larry
              > Charleston, SC

            • dldorrance
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                The only issue regarding mountain driving that I can recall has to do
                with I-70 to Denver. And as the link below indicates, this is not a
                problem:

                Dave '01 Prius

                wrote:

                > .... I would like to know how the csr drives in the mountians
                > of the western US?

              • Larry J. Shaw
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Our '07 Prius performed wonderfully up and down the High Sierras of
                  northern California recently. We were two of us, with baggage, who
                  drove about 2,000 miles from San Diego to San Francisco via Yosemite,
                  returning home to SD via Lake Tahoe to the eastern side of the Sierras.
                  We had no problems with any of the hills and elevation, and downgrading
                  with the "B" gear was easy on the brakes. And the handling in the
                  mountains was actually one of the very strong points for the Prius. It
                  is nimble and quick for turning back and forth on hairpin turns. The
                  screen said we averaged over 50 mpg over the 2,000 miles...maybe yes,
                  maybe slightly less.

                  And on another just completed 1500 mile drive from San Diego to
                  Phoenix/Tucson and return the Prius easily cruised at 75-80 on the
                  interstate with an average mpg of around 46-47.

                  I'm trying to convince my wife that we should use the Prius to make a
                  major 20,000 miles loop from SD through the south and up the eastern
                  seaboard before heading back to SD on the northern route.

                  Larry of La Mesa