Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Outcome

  • elizabeth mikulencak
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
      Below is my original email dated 1/28/08, in reference to the check engine indictor lamp. Several of you had suggestions, but I finally took the car to the dealer and they found that the fuel injectors were plugged, which basically translates to dirty fuel injectors which needed to be cleaned. In case anyone is interested on what the DTC codes are, here they are: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304 and P3193. Total cost was $353.57. Breakdown: Labor $249.99(3.15hrs), and Parts $103.60. Car is working great, and it was well worth taking it in to the dealer. Dealer recommended that I flush the fuel system, and transmission as well since I have 72,000 miles. I'll be doing that real soooooooon!

      The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning. The icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately opened up the Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the fuel, and if empty fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank. It also states that this may be a temporary malfunction and the indicator lamp will go off after taking several driving trips. It also states that if the lamp does not go off after several trips, contact the dealer, there is a problem somewhere in the engine, hybrid system, throttle control system or warning light system itself. Given the last sentence, and the cost associated with these types of issues. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may have already experienced this problem, and if so, what was done and the cost associated in correcting the problem? Any advice, or help would be most helpful, as I'm very........ .......concerned . This is the first time I have a problem like this come up with my
      car, never have had any problems at all.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
        what PARTS cost over $100 to CLEAN the injectors?

        inquiring minds...

        Elizabeth mikulencak wrote:
        > Below is my original email dated 1/28/08, in reference to the check engine indictor lamp. Several of you had suggestions, but I finally took the car to the dealer and they found that the fuel injectors were plugged, which basically translates to dirty fuel injectors which needed to be cleaned. In case anyone is interested on what the DTC codes are, here they are: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304 and P3193. Total cost was $353.57. Breakdown: Labor $249.99(3.15hrs), and Parts $103.60. Car is working great, and it was well worth taking it in to the dealer. Dealer recommended that I flush the fuel system, and transmission as well since I have 72,000 miles. I'll be doing that real soooooooon!
        >
        > The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning. The icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately opened up the Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the fuel, and if empty fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank. It also states that this may be a temporary malfunction and the indicator lamp will go off after taking several driving trips. It also states that if the lamp does not go off after several trips, contact the dealer, there is a problem somewhere in the engine, hybrid system, throttle control system or warning light system itself. Given the last sentence, and the cost associated with these types of issues. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may have already experienced this problem, and if so, what was done and the cost associated in correcting the problem? Any advice, or help would be most helpful, as I'm very........ .......concerned . This is the first time I have a problem like this come up with my
        > car, never have had any problems at all.

      • Patrick Wong
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
          Hi Elizabeth,

          Glad to hear that your car is working well now. The P030x codes show
          that the engine was misfiring on each cylinder except cylinder #3.
          The P3193 code shows that the fuel tank level was *very* low. Did
          you run out of fuel at some point prior to the CEL turning on?

          What brand of gasoline do you buy? Perhaps the injectors became
          clogged due to long-term use of gasoline with insufficient additives.

          I am interested to know what parts were itemized on your service
          invoice. If you can provide that list, we might be able to see
          whether the injectors were actually removed and examined, or not.

          I agree that it would be a good idea to have your transaxle fluid
          drained and replaced (flush is not needed). I'm not sure what it
          means to flush your fuel system, perhaps you should ask for
          clarification before authorizing that service. The implication seems
          to be that there is debris in the fuel tank (from use of low-quality
          gasoline?) Perhaps the plan is to open the fuel line at the engine
          compartment, then run the fuel pump, collect several ounces of
          gasoline coming out of the line and see whether debris is visible.
          If so, continue running the fuel pump until the gasoline is clear.

          Patrick Wong

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth mikulencak
          <icuratxtalgal@...> wrote:

          > Below is my original email dated 1/28/08, in reference to the check
          engine indictor lamp. Several of you had suggestions, but I finally
          took the car to the dealer and they found that the fuel injectors
          were plugged, which basically translates to dirty fuel injectors
          which needed to be cleaned. In case anyone is interested on what the
          DTC codes are, here they are: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304 and
          P3193. Total cost was $353.57. Breakdown: Labor $249.99(3.15hrs),
          and Parts $103.60. Car is working great, and it was well worth
          taking it in to the dealer. Dealer recommended that I flush the fuel
          system, and transmission as well since I have 72,000 miles. I'll be
          doing that real soooooooon!

          > The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning.
          The icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately
          opened up the Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the
          fuel, and if empty fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank. It also
          states that this may be a temporary malfunction and the indicator
          lamp will go off after taking several driving trips. It also states
          that if the lamp does not go off after several trips, contact the
          dealer, there is a problem somewhere in the engine, hybrid system,
          throttle control system or warning light system itself...
        • BettyTX
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
              Thanks for the feedback - it will help people down the line.

              I'm guessing you haven't been using "top tier" gasoline
              (http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm) on a
              regular basis. I used whatever was convenient until about a year
              ago, when I switched to top tier gasolines. I used them off and on
              to clean injectors on cars that had manual transmissions, in which
              dirty injectors feel like a grabby clutch. Toyota is one of the auto
              makers that developed the "top tier" standard, so I figure I ought
              to put top tier gasoline in our Toyotas.

              However, I haven't heard about fuel system flushes in the Prius.
              Serious fuel contamination has led to fuel tank replacements, but
              lesser problems heve been treated with a bottle of fuel injector
              cleaner. I'm glad the dealer successfully cleaned your car's
              injectors - the service manual for the 2001-2003 prescribes
              replacing the injectors if they don't meet flow specs. I expect the
              2004 - present are the same. It just seems extreme to me.

              Count me in among those who agree with the tranny oil change
              recommendation. There is a lot of evidence now that 60K miles is a
              good interval for transaxle fluid replacement, and maybe 30K mile
              intervals for the 2001-2003.

              Mike
              <icuratxtalgal@...> wrote:

              > Below is my original email dated 1/28/08, in reference to the
              check engine indictor lamp. Several of you had suggestions, but I
              finally took the car to the dealer and they found that the fuel
              injectors were plugged, which basically translates to dirty fuel
              injectors which needed to be cleaned. In case anyone is interested
              on what the DTC codes are, here they are: P0300, P0301, P0302,
              P0304 and P3193. Total cost was $353.57. Breakdown: Labor $249.99
              (3.15hrs), and Parts $103.60. Car is working great, and it was well
              worth taking it in to the dealer. Dealer recommended that I flush
              the fuel system, and transmission as well since I have 72,000
              miles. I'll be doing that real soooooooon!

              > The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this
              morning. The icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I
              immediately opened up the Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests
              to check the fuel, and if empty fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4
              tank. It also states that this may be a temporary malfunction and
              the indicator lamp will go off after taking several driving trips.
              It also states that if the lamp does not go off after several trips,
              contact the dealer, there is a problem somewhere in the engine,
              hybrid system, throttle control system or warning light system
              itself. Given the last sentence, and the cost associated with these
              types of issues. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may
              have already experienced this problem, and if so, what was done and
              the cost associated in correcting the problem? Any advice, or help
              would be most helpful, as I'm very........ .......concerned . This
              is the first time I have a problem like this come up with my
              > car, never have had any problems at all.

            • Susan Friedrichs
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                I just bought a 2008 and have had it down to 1 bar with no problem.

                -Sue

                ---------------------

                --
                Betty
                2003 Super White Prius Hybrid, 39,000+ wonderful miles
                http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org

              • K. B. Eric Riddle
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Absolutely NOT true. I have run mine to flashing, and it still "runs". I fill up at two bars,
                  sometimes 3. Never had it not start.

                  BettyTX <bhamilt@...> wrote:
                  > The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning. The
                  > icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately opened up the
                  > Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the fuel, and if empty
                  > fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank.
                  ---------------------
                  That reminds me of a question that I intended to ask. Since we drive a 2003
                  classic, we don't know much about the next generation Prius except what we
                  read on this list. We were talking to a techie guy about a Garmin (we didn't
                  get the navigator with ours), and he wanted to know how we liked our Prius.

                  Of course, we raved about it as we always do. Then he said, "But isn't it a
                  bother that it won't start after the gas tank gets low?" We corrected him
                  and told him that we didn't think that was true, but that we usually filled
                  up before it got to that mark. He was very firm in his knowledge -- "Yes, it
                  WON'T start if it gets down to two bars" then acknowledged that he was
                  talking about a later model than ours.

                  Is that true? We are just curious, and it would be nice to know when we
                  purchase our next Prius.

                  Betty
                  --
                  Betty
                  2003 Super White Prius Hybrid, 39,000+ wonderful miles
                  http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org

                  K. B. Eric Riddle
                  1983 GL1100i & CB1000C
                  2005 Prius
                  2007 HHR & 2004 Ion
                  Bellevue, Sarpy County, Nebraska

                • Levi Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Yeah, the only thing I could fathom him talking about would be if the
                    Traction Battery got low... But I'm thinking even then that would be to the
                    point of no bars whatsoever on the screen if it was so low that it wouldn't
                    let you try to start it without getting dealer intervention....

                    Levi

                  • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                      We started our 2006 this morning with only one bar on the fuel guage with no problem whatsoever.

                      We have run it for a couple of days with the last bar on the fuel guage flashing (not recommended) without any problems.

                      I think you can safely tell him he is WRONG.

                      > The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning. The
                      > icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately opened up the
                      > Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the fuel, and if empty
                      > fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank.
                      ---------------------
                      That reminds me of a question that I intended to ask. Since we drive a 2003
                      classic, we don't know much about the next generation Prius except what we
                      read on this list. We were talking to a techie guy about a Garmin (we didn't
                      get the navigator with ours), and he wanted to know how we liked our Prius.

                      Of course, we raved about it as we always do. Then he said, "But isn't it a
                      bother that it won't start after the gas tank gets low?" We corrected him
                      and told him that we didn't think that was true, but that we usually filled
                      up before it got to that mark. He was very firm in his knowledge -- "Yes, it
                      WON'T start if it gets down to two bars" then acknowledged that he was
                      talking about a later model than ours.

                      Is that true? We are just curious, and it would be nice to know when we
                      purchase our next Prius.

                      Betty
                      --
                      Betty
                      2003 Super White Prius Hybrid, 39,000+ wonderful miles
                      http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org

                    • Jon Wilson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                        I have started my '05 at least once with only one bar showing on the fuel
                        gauge. Like you, I usually fill up before it gets that low.

                        Jon
                        >> The malfunction indicator lamp on my 2005 turned on this morning. The
                        >> icon that is displaying looks like an engine. I immediately opened up the
                        >> Owners Manual to page 117 (d). It suggests to check the fuel, and if
                        >> empty
                        >> fuel up, but my fuel level is 3/4 tank.
                        > ---------------------
                        > That reminds me of a question that I intended to ask. Since we drive a
                        > 2003
                        > classic, we don't know much about the next generation Prius except what we
                        > read on this list. We were talking to a techie guy about a Garmin (we
                        > didn't
                        > get the navigator with ours), and he wanted to know how we liked our
                        > Prius.
                        >
                        > Of course, we raved about it as we always do. Then he said, "But isn't it
                        > bother that it won't start after the gas tank gets low?" We corrected him
                        > and told him that we didn't think that was true, but that we usually
                        > filled
                        > up before it got to that mark. He was very firm in his knowledge -- "Yes,
                        > it
                        > WON'T start if it gets down to two bars" then acknowledged that he was
                        > talking about a later model than ours.
                        >
                        > Is that true? We are just curious, and it would be nice to know when we
                        > purchase our next Prius.
                        >
                        > Betty
                        > --
                        > Betty
                        > 2003 Super White Prius Hybrid, 39,000+ wonderful miles
                        > http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org
                        >

                        > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
                        > and Polls, go to

                      • BettyTX
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                          Thanks to all who responded to my question. I'll be sure to mention that we
                          ALL agree that what the techie guy said was wrong, that Prii/Priuses DO
                          start even if the fuel is down to two bars.

                          Betty
                          --

                          Jon wrote:
                          >I have started my '05 at least once with only one bar showing on the fuel
                          >gauge. Like you, I usually fill up before it gets that low.
                          >
                          > Jon

                        • Patrick Wong
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                            Hi Betty,

                            You are probably aware that the Prius fuel gauge is not to be
                            trusted. I agree with the other posters that the 2G Prius will
                            *usually* start even if the fuel gauge is blinking one bar (assuming
                            that fuel actually is available in the tank).

                            Maybe a given Prius showed two bars on the fuel gauge but actually
                            was out of fuel. However that is not normal behavior, and that
                            vehicle should be repaired.

                            Patrick Wong

                            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "BettyTX" <bhamilt@...> wrote:

                            > ... Then he said, "But isn't it a bother that it won't start after
                            > the gas tank gets low?" We corrected him and told him that we
                            > didn't think that was true, but that we usually filled up before it
                            > got to that mark. He was very firm in his knowledge -- "Yes, it
                            > WON'T start if it gets down to two bars" then acknowledged that he
                            > was talking about a later model than ours.
                          • Paul Lawler
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                              On Feb 6, 2008, at 1:43 , BettyTX wrote:

                              > He was very firm in his knowledge -- "Yes, it
                              > WON'T start if it gets down to two bars" then acknowledged that he was
                              > talking about a later model than ours.
                              >
                              > Is that true? We are just curious, and it would be nice to know
                              > when we
                              > purchase our next Prius.

                              Just goes to show that being firm has nothing to do with being right.

                              I've been starting mine for the past two days with a blinking last bar.
                            • hlschmidt1941
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Susan Friedrichs <susanxc@...> wrote:

                                > I just bought a 2008 and have had it down to 1 bar with no problem.
                                >
                                > -Sue

                                I had my '02 down to a bar once, but it was closed.
                              • Larry J. Shaw
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                                  Not true, Betty. I have run very low a few times on my '06 and later
                                  with an '07 (sold the '06 to my daughter) and the Prius always started
                                  every time. Another urban legend, I think.

                                  Larry of La Mesa