Re: consumption screen: mileage accurate?

  • Patrick Wong
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi Paul,

      Last year I timed how long my two Prius would run before the first
      auto shut-off. At ~55 degrees F, my 2004 waited 13 seconds between
      READY and ICE start. Then the ICE ran 107 seconds before auto shut-
      off. My 2001 started immediately when it was made READY, and ran
      almost eight minutes before auto shut-off. More details at:
      8

      I'm too impatient to wait for the auto shut-off before zooming away,
      so I can't say how much mpg improvement results from one practice vs.
      another.

      Patrick Wong

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lawler <plawler@...> wrote:

      > ...My personal experimentation has me convinced that (despite the
      > manual and Larry's kind advice) letting the engine run until it
      > initially shuts itself off (about 90 seconds for me), results in it
      > coming on much less often during the first 5 minutes of driving. If
      > I fail to let it "warm up" it comes on almost continuously during
      > that first 5 minutes. QED.
    • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        What "blue llight"?

        Levi Smith <LeviGSmith@...> wrote: Wait...
        - It would be more in the neighborhood of 10-15 minutes before the
        blue light went off

        Old Folks at Home

      • Levi Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          The blue "under operating temperature" light or whatever it's called that
          says that the coolant temp(s) are below operating temp.
          I think the light goes off at around 120F... Which also seems to be about
          the time the fan starts blowing lightly if the heat is set to auto and not
          defrost. Seems like engine shutoff doesn't happen till more like
          160-180F...

          Levi

          On Feb 1, 2008 10:16 AM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...>
          wrote:

          > What "blue llight"?
          >
          > *Levi Smith <LeviGSmith@...>* wrote:
          >
          > Wait...
          > - It would be more in the neighborhood of 10-15 minutes before the
          > blue light went off
          >

          > Old Folks at Home

        • pinball_fan
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Smith" <LeviGSmith@...> wrote:

            > The blue "under operating temperature" light or whatever it's called
            that
            > says that the coolant temp(s) are below operating temp.
            > I think the light goes off at around 120F

            Between 49C & 50C.

            >... Which also seems to be about
            > the time the fan starts blowing lightly if the heat is set to auto
            and not
            > defrost.

            Very faintly noticeable around 37C.

            Numbers from my Ecrostech (a/k/a "Graham") Miniscanner.

            Scott
          • Patrick Wong
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
              The blue thermometer icon can be found in Classic but not 2G. I
              agree that it turns off at around 50 degrees C.

              Patrick Wong