Re: [toyota-prius] I picked up my new Prius Monday night! A few questions...

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007
      On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 10:55:58AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:

      > Of course if you have the Smart Key with you and "test" the door
      > handle it will immediately unlock. You can avoid this by testing a
      > rear door instead of a front door. ;o)

      But for that to work you have to unlock the rear first to know that
      locking actually occurred. My rear doors are rarely unlocked.

      There is an option somewhere for unlocking all doors when a front door
      is unlocked from outside. Behaves same as unlocking the hatch. One day I
      expect to invoke that option. On 2000 Avalon hit the remote unlock twice
      to unlock all doors. Expect same works on Prius Smart Key remote but
      often would appreciate similar function at the Prius driver's door
      handle.

      Walked up to my Sonoma yesterday expecting it to unlock. It didn't. :-(

    • Paul Lawler
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007
        On Nov 3, 2007, at 11:06 , David Kelly wrote:

        > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 10:55:58AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
        >>
        >> Of course if you have the Smart Key with you and "test" the door
        >> handle it will immediately unlock. You can avoid this by testing a
        >> rear door instead of a front door. ;o)
        >
        > But for that to work you have to unlock the rear first to know that
        > locking actually occurred. My rear doors are rarely unlocked.
        >
        > There is an option somewhere for unlocking all doors when a front door
        > is unlocked from outside. Behaves same as unlocking the hatch.

        That is the option I have chosen... I unlock any door, and they all
        unlock. I haven't yet had a carjacker hiding next to my passenger
        door, waiting for me to unlock the car, or jumping in at a stoplight.
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007
          On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 11:11:08AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:

          > > There is an option somewhere for unlocking all doors when a front
          > > door is unlocked from outside. Behaves same as unlocking the hatch.
          >
          > That is the option I have chosen... I unlock any door, and they all
          > unlock. I haven't yet had a carjacker hiding next to my passenger
          > door, waiting for me to unlock the car, or jumping in at a stoplight.

          Toyota designers need to use Macintosh more, PC less, as apparently
          Toyota designers do not *expect* things to work as well as Macintosh.

          The Smart Key system door handles should operate the same as the
          traditional remote lock fob, double-click the door handle should unlock
          all doors, single click unlocks only that door.

        • Jerry Ubuntu
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007
            On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 17:26 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
            > On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 11:11:08AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:

            > The Smart Key system door handles should operate the same as the
            > traditional remote lock fob, double-click the door handle should unlock
            > all doors, single click unlocks only that door.

            So, if you leave the key in your pocket (where it belongs) in order to
            unlock all doors, would you have to pull the door handle twice?

            --
            Jerry Ubuntu
            Woodhaven, Mi
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007
              On Nov 4, 2007, at 5:43 AM, Jerry Ubuntu wrote:

              > On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 17:26 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
              >> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 11:11:08AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
              >
              >> The Smart Key system door handles should operate the same as the
              >> traditional remote lock fob, double-click the door handle should
              >> unlock
              >> all doors, single click unlocks only that door.
              >>
              > So, if you leave the key in your pocket (where it belongs) in order to
              > unlock all doors, would you have to pull the door handle twice?

              As things stand I don't *pull* the handle to unlock, I only insert my
              hand in the handle. So yes, I think Toyota should have rigged the
              Smart Key lock so that inserting my hand twice in close succession
              unlocks all doors. Its easier and faster than opening the door and
              reaching for the button on the inside door handle. It doesn't change
              the existing unlocking procedure.