Engine Light

  • britniyost
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      Please Help~ I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and my check engine light is
      on and my car is making a loud roaring/dragging sound i haven't driven
      far but when i tried to go up the block it began making this noise. I
      had the oil changed about 2 weeks ago also. If anyone can help me out
      with this problem please let me know. I plan to take it to toyota to
      let them check it out but i won't be able to do so until tommorrow and
      i'm kinda scared to drive it there because toyota is about 25-30 miles
      from my home. Please Help~
    • Levi Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        If you're not mechanically inclined and it sounds as bad as you're
        describing you may want to call the dealer or otherwise have your Prius
        brought in on a flatbed to avoid any more potential damage and/or getting
        stranded.

        If you are mechanically inclined, I think the next steps would be to get a
        basic scantool plugged into the car and see if you can get any generic codes
        off it as well as trying to identify where the noise is coming from...

        Levi

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
          The 'Check Engine' light is nothing to be too concerned about, and could only be related to the loud noise if part of your filler neck is dragging on the ground.
          Unlikely... (but also see further below)

          So, do a careful physical inspection to see what IS dragging - assuming it only makes the noise when moving - and tie/tape it up, or remove it, depending on what 'it' is.

          My suspicion? CEL is unrelated, and the garage (or you) may have knocked loose something under the car.

          Let us know what you find.

          IF, OTOH, the noise occurs even when NOT moving, then open the hood with the ICE running and again, carefully look around for the noise.

          Extreme possiblity: Exhaust was messed up by putting it on the lift wrong, which could cause both noise & CEL.

          Oh yes, and while you have the bonnet open, check the oil level with the engine off....

        • Patrick Wong
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            Look under the car and see if you can tell what is dragging. Did you
            happen to drive over a curb or any road debris?

            My guess is that the exhaust system was damaged including the second
            oxygen sensor which is at a low point in the exhaust system, causing
            the roaring/dragging sound *and* the check engine light to come on.

            If you cannot see anything dragging or obvious damage, check all
            fluids, *especially* engine oil. Make sure the engine oil fill cap is
            secure on the valve cover.

            It would be a good idea to tow the car to the dealer if you cannot
            determine the cause for this noise.

            Patrick Wong

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "britniyost" <britniyost@...>
            wrote:

            > Please Help...
          • K. B. Eric Riddle
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
              britniyost <britniyost@...> wrote: Please Help~ I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and my check engine light is
              on and my car is making a loud roaring/dragging sound i haven't driven
              far but when i tried to go up the block it began making this noise. I
              had the oil changed about 2 weeks ago also. If anyone can help me out
              with this problem please let me know. I plan to take it to toyota to
              let them check it out but i won't be able to do so until tommorrow and
              i'm kinda scared to drive it there because toyota is about 25-30 miles
              from my home. Please Help~

              Check engine light may or may not mean anything. Does it really say "Service engine soon"? If so, just a service reminder and possibly a lesson regarding who is servicing your car (changing your oil). If not, may be something significant.
              Regarding the roar...Is it present with the car on, ICE off? Moving or not? ICE on car not moving? If the noise is present while moving, its probably a shield that has come loose and is dragging. That needs to be fixed before driving 30 or so miles. If not, your guess good as mine...

              K. B. Eric Riddle
              1983 GL1100i
              2005 Prius
              2007 HHR-2004 Ion