Re: [toyota-prius] low fuel warning

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2007
      On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:48 PM, <yahoogroups@...>
      <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

      > 2005 I previously added 8.6 gallons to fill the tank after the
      > last bar
      > started flashing. Today I drove 107 miles after the bar started
      > flashing
      > and added 10.6 gallons to fill it. still 50 more miles available.
      > So for
      > my car it looks like 150 miles AFTER the flashing bar and add fuel
      > warning.
      > YRMV

      Your Results May Vary? This was a prime place to say YMMV, Your
      Mileage May Vary.

      *I* ran out of gas (less than 2 miles after the fuel low warning) and
      in spite of my best effort could only put 11.3 gallons in the tank.
      Admit I didn't see gas coming out the top when I stopped but the
      nozzle clicked off 5 or 6 times before I quit.

    • yahoogroups@bsupply.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2007
        So that's what YMMV means. 150 is the outside and 110 was making me
        nervous. But 10.6 was with only one spritz. From now on I will reset trip
        meter "B" when I see the bar flash. It's silly to pretend the car only has
        a 9 gallon tank if it has a 11.6 gallon tank. And yes it has been a long
        time since I ran a car out of gas. (ford that went dry BEFORE the line
        before the E) I was sweating big time when I put 25.9 gallons in my 26.3
        Gallon Sprinter late at night in South Dakota last summer. If I get real
        ambitious I might carry a gas can and find out where out is on the toy.
        (not likely) My Olds van would also not go to E when freeway driving. It had
        a weird limp mode that was good for 15 to 20 more slow miles.

        gggGary

        from Wisconsin

        _____

        --
        David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY. <mailto:dkelly%40HiWAAY.net> net
      • Paul Lawler
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
          On Oct 31, 2007, at 4:00 , <yahoogroups@...>
          <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

          > So that's what YMMV means. 150 is the outside and 110 was making me
          > nervous. But 10.6 was with only one spritz. From now on I will
          > reset trip
          > meter "B" when I see the bar flash. It's silly to pretend the car
          > only has
          > a 9 gallon tank if it has a 11.6 gallon tank.

          But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a flexible
          bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5 gallons into
          it consistently.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
            On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:

            > But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a flexible
            > bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5 gallons into
            > it consistently.

            The EPA lies? The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.

          • Michael Pardee
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
              > >
              > > But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a
              flexible
              > > bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5 gallons
              into
              > > it consistently.
              >
              > The EPA lies? The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.
              >
              > --
              > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...

              Maybe the housing is 11.9 gallons.

              Mike
            • Paul Lawler
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                On Nov 1, 2007, at 2:58 , David Kelly wrote:

                > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
                >>
                >> But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a flexible
                >> bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5 gallons into
                >> it consistently.
                >
                > The EPA lies?

                Yes.

                > The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.

                Okay... 11.9 gallon tank with a flexible bladder inside. In any event
                the usable fuel is somewhat less than 11.9 gallons.
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                  On Nov 1, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Paul Lawler wrote:

                  > On Nov 1, 2007, at 2:58 , David Kelly wrote:
                  >
                  >> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a
                  >>> flexible
                  >>> bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5 gallons
                  >>> into
                  >>> it consistently.
                  >>
                  >> The EPA lies?
                  >
                  > Yes.

                  If the liberal environmentalists' pet government agency lies then who
                  could one trust? :-)

                  >> The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.
                  >
                  > Okay... 11.9 gallon tank with a flexible bladder inside. In any event
                  > the usable fuel is somewhat less than 11.9 gallons.

                  No, the housing around the bladder does not hold liquid, it is not a
                  "tank".

                  The bladder is rather large and thick. I would guess it occupies at
                  least 2 gallons by volume.

                  There is plenty of documented evidence where hypermilers put more than
                  12 gallons in the tank. The 11.9 gallon rating as stated by Toyota and
                  the EPA is reasonable.
                  http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

                  The capacity of a gas tank is how much gasoline one can pump through
                  the orifice known as the "gas cap." Bladders are irrelevant. If a
                  bladder is used and reduces capacity then the capacity is stated as
                  the reduced value.

                • Patrick Wong
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Hi David,

                    I thought that an automobile's fuel tank capacity is based upon the
                    manufacturer's specification, not a government agency's independent
                    test.

                    Toyota-United Kingdom lists Prius fuel tank capacity (not equipped
                    with fuel tank bladder) at 45 liters or 9.9 Imperial gallons.
                    http://www.toyota.uk.com/vs2/pdf/PS2_63_spec.pdf

                    This is the same as 11.89 US gallons.

                    Considering that the US fuel tank has the flexible bladder within, I
                    doubt it will actually hold 11.9 gallons especially when the weather
                    turns cold - unless you believe the US fuel tank has larger physical
                    dimensions than the tank installed in Prius shipped elsewhere.

                    For members who report pumping that amount or more into their fuel
                    tank, I would consider the possibility that the pump short-changed
                    them by overstating gallons pumped.

                    Patrick Wong

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                    > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
                    > >
                    > > But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a
                    > > flexible bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5
                    > > gallons into it consistently.
                    >
                    > The EPA lies? The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.
                  • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Saturday I was surprized to see the guess gauge fall to the last square at a time I tho't sure I ought to have 3 or 4 gallons left. But I stopped, and found I could just pump in 6.2! Since I have pumped in 11.4 gallons when it was empty, looks like I might've still had 5.2 gals on board.///

                      Patrick Wong <patwong3@...> wrote: Hi David,

                      I thought that an automobile's fuel tank capacity is based upon the
                      manufacturer's specification, not a government agency's independent
                      test.

                      Toyota-United Kingdom lists Prius fuel tank capacity (not equipped
                      with fuel tank bladder) at 45 liters or 9.9 Imperial gallons.
                      http://www.toyota.uk.com/vs2/pdf/PS2_63_spec.pdf

                      This is the same as 11.89 US gallons.

                      Considering that the US fuel tank has the flexible bladder within, I
                      doubt it will actually hold 11.9 gallons especially when the weather
                      turns cold - unless you believe the US fuel tank has larger physical
                      dimensions than the tank installed in Prius shipped elsewhere.

                      For members who report pumping that amount or more into their fuel
                      tank, I would consider the possibility that the pump short-changed
                      them by overstating gallons pumped.

                      Patrick Wong

                      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -1000, Paul Lawler wrote:
                      > >
                      > > But it doesn't "really" have an 11.6 gallon tank. There is a
                      > > flexible bladder inside the tank, so you are unlikely to get 11.5
                      > > gallons into it consistently.
                      >
                      > The EPA lies? The EPA says its an 11.9 gallon tank.

                      Old Folks at Home