Re: 103, 000 kaput :(

  • Jeffrey Denenberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Frank M. Tedesco"
      <frankmtedesco@...> wrote:

      > Prius friends,
      >
      > Just over 103,000 miles and I am told today that I
      > need a new electric engine for my 2001 Prius at total
      > cost of parts, labor and taxes of nearly $4,200. I
      > spent $420 on a water pump assembly two months ago.
      > No warranty, no nothing. I haven't decided what to do
      > with the car. Is it worth the money to replace the
      > engine? What can I expect? The news came to me at 4:30
      > PM today from a service advisor who knew nothing about
      > replacement warrantees, etc.
      >
      > This event has brought all my proud & convincing Prius
      > tales to an abrupt end... I overinvested in this car
      > in more ways than one.
      >
      > Frank in Florida
      >
      > Frank M.Tedesco, Ph.D.
      > True Dharma International
      > (727) 391-1152 Cell: (727) 512-4805
      > www.truedharma.org
      > www.uuclearwater.org/buddhist.htm
      > www.truedharmaworks.org

      Frank,

      I'm also sorry about your loss (my Prius seems a part of my family).

      One question, had you ever replaced the ATF fluid in the HSD (tranny)?
      In all of the small number of cases of HSD failure reported to these
      discussion groups the ATF fluid was original. Several of us strongly
      suggest replacing the ATF at regular intervals (every 30k miles in a
      Classic, every 60k miles in a 2004+) to hopefully reduce the
      probability of this failure mode.

      JeffD
    • Jeffrey Denenberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
        <frankmtedesco@...> wrote:

        > Prius friends,
        >
        > Just over 103,000 miles and I am told today that I
        > need a new electric engine for my 2001 Prius at total
        > cost of parts, labor and taxes of nearly $4,200. I
        > spent $420 on a water pump assembly two months ago.
        > No warranty, no nothing. I haven't decided what to do
        > with the car. Is it worth the money to replace the
        > engine? What can I expect? The news came to me at 4:30
        > PM today from a service advisor who knew nothing about
        > replacement warrantees, etc.
        >
        > This event has brought all my proud & convincing Prius
        > tales to an abrupt end... I overinvested in this car
        > in more ways than one.
        >
        > Frank in Florida
        >
        > Frank M.Tedesco, Ph.D.
        > True Dharma International
        > (727) 391-1152 Cell: (727) 512-4805
        > www.truedharma.org
        > www.uuclearwater.org/buddhist.htm
        > www.truedharmaworks.org

        Frank,

        One other question. Was the water pump the one for the ICE coolant
        loop or the one for the Inverter (and tranny) coolant loop. These two
        coolant loops are independent. If it was the second, you may have
        overheated the tranny, either when the water pump failed, or (if the
        mechanic didn't fully bleed the system of air bubbles) after that repair.

        JeffD
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
          I have a 1965 mustang in my driveway, 289 2bbl auto.

          If you are in California do not dismay on the electric motor. It is
          warenteed to $150k miles under the California PNZEV rules.
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
            Flogging a dead horse, a 103k mile failure would not be covered under
            the extended warentee.
            I would go back to the dealer who I bought it from and see if they would
            work with Toyota to get this covered. The engines and motors should last
            200-300k miles In California those electric motors are covered to 150k
            miles.