My Check Engine Light on 2001

  • rocky92683
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2007
      I will thow this out to the group for comments. I am also having trouble with the check
      engine light, triangle of death and hybrid system warning (car with ! on it) immediatly after
      starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked. It was/is happening mostly
      on hot days (often after a short stop) and would happen far more often to my wife, even
      though I drive the car 90% of the time.

      Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the car, quickly hit the A/C on
      button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning lights came on. So it seems to
      be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add an extra load to the
      engine. I think it happens to my wife more often since she uses the airconditioner and I tend
      to just roll down the window. And the stalling after a short stop on a hot day makes sense
      since the air conditioner would be on when you returned and restarted the car.

      Sound familiar to anyone. At the moment it is just annoying since I restart the car and it runs
      normally (warnings stay on for several starts). But is this the sign of a bigger problem that
      will show up soon? I first experineced this problem last summer, it took the winter off, and is
      back again this summer. 60k on the car.
    • Larry Finch
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2007
        On 9/1/07, rocky92683 <priester.family@...> wrote:
        > I will thow this out to the group for comments. I am also having trouble with the check
        > engine light, triangle of death and hybrid system warning (car with ! on it) immediatly after
        > starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked. It was/is happening mostly
        > on hot days (often after a short stop) and would happen far more often to my wife, even
        > though I drive the car 90% of the time.
        >
        > Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the car, quickly hit the A/C on
        > button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning lights came on. So it seems to
        > be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add an extra load to the
        > engine. I think it happens to my wife more often since she uses the airconditioner and I tend
        > to just roll down the window. And the stalling after a short stop on a hot day makes sense
        > since the air conditioner would be on when you returned and restarted the car.
        >
        > Sound familiar to anyone. At the moment it is just annoying since I restart the car and it runs
        > normally (warnings stay on for several starts). But is this the sign of a bigger problem that
        > will show up soon? I first experineced this problem last summer, it took the winter off, and is
        > back again this summer. 60k on the car.

        There are too many possibilities. The safest thing to do is to get the
        codes read out. A dealer can do it (and will charge between $50 and
        $100). Whatever it is, you need to get it fixed. It is not normal.

        best,

        Larry

        --
        Larry Finch

        N 40° 53' 47"
        W 74° 03' 56"
      • Michael Pardee
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "rocky92683"
          <priester.family@...> wrote:

          > I will thow this out to the group for comments. I am also having
          trouble with the check
          > engine light, triangle of death and hybrid system warning (car
          with ! on it) immediatly after
          > starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked.
          It was/is happening mostly
          > on hot days (often after a short stop) and would happen far more
          often to my wife, even
          > though I drive the car 90% of the time.
          >
          > Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the
          car, quickly hit the A/C on
          > button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning
          lights came on. So it seems to
          > be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add
          an extra load to the
          > engine. I think it happens to my wife more often since she uses
          the airconditioner and I tend
          > to just roll down the window. And the stalling after a short stop
          on a hot day makes sense
          > since the air conditioner would be on when you returned and
          restarted the car.

          > Sound familiar to anyone. At the moment it is just annoying since
          I restart the car and it runs
          > normally (warnings stay on for several starts). But is this the
          sign of a bigger problem that
          > will show up soon? I first experineced this problem last summer,
          it took the winter off, and is
          > back again this summer. 60k on the car.

          Since the problem seems to be in the engine you can get the
          important codes read at any of the chain stores that offer the
          service free. A standard ODBII reader will read (and clear) those
          codes. The codes you are likely to have will be the standardized
          ones, too. A normal OBDII or CAN reader can't retrieve the hybrid or
          battery codes, but I bet the hybrid codes will be the usual
          sympathetic ones ("I can't do my job if the engine dies!") and they
          clear quickly by themselves.

          A good first step, if you haven't been using "top tier" gasoline -
          one that advertises its high detergency or that it keeps the inside
          of your engine clean - is to add a bottle of Techron to the
          gasoline. It will clean the fuel injectors within a hundred miles or
          two. I have changed to using top tier gasoline (Chevron, Texaco and
          Shell in my area) regularly. The advantages are worth the small
          price difference IMO.

          I also recommend having the throttle body cleaned - it needs to be
          removed for a proper cleaning. It should be about a one hour job.
          The Prius engine really needs it, because the valve timing
          backwashes quite a bit of soot into the throttle body. At the same
          time the inevitable oil that collects in the intake plenum under the
          throttle body can be blotted up. Of course, if the air filter is
          getting old a new one should be installed.

          After that I recommend driving a few hundred miles to see how it
          goes. I think that once the Techron has had time to work and the
          throttle body has been cleaned you will be good to go. If not, at
          least that important maintenance is out of the way.

          Mike
        • Patrick Wong
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2007
            TSB EG011-03 (all TSBs can be found in the toyota-prius-sat1 files)
            may be applicable if you have the applicable DTCs:
            P3190/P3191/P3101. You might need a new engine ECU or your throttle
            body interior and throttle plate might need cleaning.

            Given the digits attached to your Yahoo name, I am wondering whether
            that is your zip code and you are located in south Orange County, CA.
            If so, and you would like me to read the DTCs for you, send me a
            private message.

            Patrick Wong

            <priester.family@...> wrote:

            > ...I am also having trouble with the check engine light, triangle of
            > death and hybrid system warning (car with ! on it) immediatly after
            > starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked...
          • Ken Mandelberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
              > 1a. My Check Engine Light on 2001
              > Posted by: "rocky92683" priester.family@... rocky92683
              > Date: Sat Sep 1, 2007 7:32 am ((PDT))
              >
              > I will thow this out to the group for comments. I am also having trouble with the check
              > engine light, triangle of death and hybrid system warning (car with ! on it) immediatly after
              > starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked. It was/is happening mostly
              > on hot days (often after a short stop) and would happen far more often to my wife, even
              > though I drive the car 90% of the time.
              >
              > Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the car, quickly hit the A/C on
              > button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning lights came on. So it seems to
              > be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add an extra load to the
              > engine. I think it happens to my wife more often since she uses the airconditioner and I tend
              > to just roll down the window. And the stalling after a short stop on a hot day makes sense
              > since the air conditioner would be on when you returned and restarted the car.
              >
              > Sound familiar to anyone. At the moment it is just annoying since I restart the car and it runs
              > normally (warnings stay on for several starts). But is this the sign of a bigger problem that
              > will show up soon? I first experineced this problem last summer, it took the winter off, and is
              > back again this summer. 60k on the car.

              The symptoms are identical to the ones I had with my 2001.

              Eventually I went to the dealer to read the codes, and he found P3101
              and P3191 which corresponds to TSB EG011-03. They replaced the ECM a
              $1200 repair that was covered under the 8 year hyprid warranty. The TSB
              also lead them to replace a relay and the gas tank for another $835.
              Luckily I had an extended warranty that covered that.

              I don't know if all that was really necessary, but it did fix it.
            • marcustcohn
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
                <priester.family@...> wrote:

                > Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the car,
                quickly hit the A/C on
                > button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning lights
                came on. So it seems to
                > be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add
                an extra load to the
                > engine.

                My son's 04 very recently experienced a problem that sounds similar.
                It started with alerts something like 'Problem - power monitor' and
                when he engaged the A/C sustained beeping and icon displays. Final fix
                was he took it to the dealer and they used a Toyota computer to reset
                everything and that has seemed to fix it. He had tried numerous
                restart/resets on his own with no affect. Could be that if he had
                disconnected the 12v battery for a couple of hours that might have
                also worked. Good luck.
                Marc
              • Larry Finch
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
                  On 9/2/07, Ken Mandelberg <km@...> wrote:
                  > The symptoms are identical to the ones I had with my 2001.
                  >
                  > Eventually I went to the dealer to read the codes, and he found P3101
                  > and P3191 which corresponds to TSB EG011-03. They replaced the ECM a
                  > $1200 repair that was covered under the 8 year hyprid warranty. The TSB
                  > also lead them to replace a relay and the gas tank for another $835.
                  > Luckily I had an extended warranty that covered that.
                  >
                  > I don't know if all that was really necessary, but it did fix it.

                  As long as you didn't have to pay for anything - but the TSB says it
                  could be the ECM OR the relay OR the gas tank, and has a detailed
                  diagnostic procedure to determine which it is. Replacing all 3 is just
                  laziness or inability to follow directions.

                  best,

                  Larry

                  --
                  Larry Finch

                  N 40° 53' 47"
                  W 74° 03' 56"
                • Patrick Wong
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Hi Larry,

                    You are right, but if Toyota (or the extended warranty underwriter) is
                    willing to reimburse the dealer for all three parts, then there's no
                    incentive for the dealer's mechanic to carefully troubleshoot the
                    problem.

                    I had a similar problem with my 2001 last summer and got the engine
                    ECU replaced under emissions warranty. I paid to replace the circuit
                    opening relay, but the old one tested fine so I kept it for possible
                    future use as a spare.

                    Patrick Wong

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
                      > "Larry Finch" finches@... lfinch_prolifics wrote
                      > On 9/2/07, Ken Mandelberg <km@...> wrote:
                      >> The symptoms are identical to the ones I had with my 2001.
                      >>
                      >> Eventually I went to the dealer to read the codes, and he found P3101
                      >> and P3191 which corresponds to TSB EG011-03. They replaced the ECM a
                      >> $1200 repair that was covered under the 8 year hyprid warranty. The TSB
                      >> also lead them to replace a relay and the gas tank for another $835.
                      >> Luckily I had an extended warranty that covered that.
                      >>
                      >> I don't know if all that was really necessary, but it did fix it.
                      >
                      > As long as you didn't have to pay for anything - but the TSB says it
                      > could be the ECM OR the relay OR the gas tank, and has a detailed
                      > diagnostic procedure to determine which it is. Replacing all 3 is just
                      > laziness or inability to follow directions.

                      It's been a while since I read the TSB, but I thought it could be either
                      or both depending on the results of the diagnostic tests. Thats from
                      memory and you may be correct that its either/or but not both.

                      I presumed they followed the flow chart, and was prepared to ask for the
                      specific readings until they told me it was all covered.
                    • sidneybrooks
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                        My check engine light on my 2001 has been on for a year. I have had
                        the codes read and follow-up service from the manual. Everything
                        checked out as good. My mechanic said that it could only be the gas
                        cap. I really tightened the gas cap and the light went out. After
                        about 100 miles it came back on. I bought a new gas cap but have
                        never gotten the light to turn off again. Another mechanic thinks
                        that it is a tiny leak and says that it takes some kind of smoke
                        apparatus to detect it.

                        On several hot summer days I have experienced your other problem with
                        the warning light and jerky slow motion. When the car cools, the
                        warning light goes off and car becomes normal. I am guessing that the
                        problem is vapor lock and am trying to keep my gas tank at least half
                        full. Since it is a rare event, I do not know if the problem is
                        solved.

                        I hope that this helps.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                          On 9/5/07, sidneybrooks <sidneybrooks@...> wrote:
                          > My check engine light on my 2001 has been on for a year. I have had
                          > the codes read and follow-up service from the manual. Everything
                          > checked out as good. My mechanic said that it could only be the gas
                          > cap. I really tightened the gas cap and the light went out. After
                          > about 100 miles it came back on. I bought a new gas cap but have
                          > never gotten the light to turn off again. Another mechanic thinks
                          > that it is a tiny leak and says that it takes some kind of smoke
                          > apparatus to detect it.
                          >
                          > On several hot summer days I have experienced your other problem with
                          > the warning light and jerky slow motion. When the car cools, the
                          > warning light goes off and car becomes normal. I am guessing that the
                          > problem is vapor lock and am trying to keep my gas tank at least half
                          > full. Since it is a rare event, I do not know if the problem is
                          > solved.

                          I don't think vapor lock is a possibility with a positive pressure
                          submerged fuel pump located at the source.

                          I had intermittent MIL for a few weeks, on and off, and one night at
                          10 PM the car died on a rural road upstate NY. It was not an
                          experience I would recommend. So you should get it fixed, no matter
                          what it takes. My problem turned out to be an intermittently shorted
                          igniter (code P1300, P1305).

                          best,

                          Larry
                          --
                          Larry Finch

                          N 40° 53' 47"
                          W 74° 03' 56"
                        • Steve Goldfield
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                            I used to have a problem like that, mainly after parking my car
                            in a very, very hot place. Last year, they replaced my computer, and
                            it has not happened again since. Although I was out of warranty,
                            I argued that I had reported the problem years and miles before
                            the warranty had expired, so Toyota agreed to pay half. I suspect
                            that there were quite a few dud computers on the 2001 model based on
                            what I'm reading here. Interesting that nobody else replied when
                            I originally posted about it years ago. The only other warnings I
                            ever got were on my power steering (they had a recall on those and
                            replaced it) and one on my gas tank cover which never repeated
                            after they replaced that. It helped that the dealer's records showed
                            that I reported the problem long ago and that it had not been
                            repaired.

                            1a. Re: My Check Engine Light on 2001
                            Posted by: "sidneybrooks" sidneybrooks@... sidneybrooks
                            Date: Wed Sep 5, 2007 6:36 am ((PDT))

                            My check engine light on my 2001 has been on for a year. I have had
                            the codes read and follow-up service from the manual. Everything
                            checked out as good. My mechanic said that it could only be the gas
                            cap. I really tightened the gas cap and the light went out. After
                            about 100 miles it came back on. I bought a new gas cap but have
                            never gotten the light to turn off again. Another mechanic thinks
                            that it is a tiny leak and says that it takes some kind of smoke
                            apparatus to detect it.

                            On several hot summer days I have experienced your other problem with
                            the warning light and jerky slow motion. When the car cools, the
                            warning light goes off and car becomes normal. I am guessing that the
                            problem is vapor lock and am trying to keep my gas tank at least half
                            full. Since it is a rare event, I do not know if the problem is
                            solved.

                            I hope that this helps.

                            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com,
                            "rocky92683" <priester.family@...> wrote:

                            > I will thow this out to the group for comments. I am also having
                            trouble with the check
                            > engine light, triangle of death and hybrid system warning (car with
                            ! on it) immediatly after
                            > starting the car. No I have not had the warning codes checked. It
                            was/is happening mostly
                            > on hot days (often after a short stop) and would happen far more
                            often to my wife, even
                            > though I drive the car 90% of the time.
                            >
                            > Last week it to me happened again. But this time I started the car,
                            quickly hit the A/C on
                            > button and then the engine sputtered, turned off and warning lights
                            came on. So it seems to
                            > be a problem when starting with the A/C system on, which would add
                            an extra load to the
                            > engine. I think it happens to my wife more often since she uses
                            the airconditioner and I tend
                            > to just roll down the window. And the stalling after a short stop
                            on a hot day makes sense
                            > since the air conditioner would be on when you returned and
                            restarted the car.

                            > Sound familiar to anyone. At the moment it is just annoying since
                            I restart the car and it runs
                            > normally (warnings stay on for several starts). But is this the
                            sign of a bigger problem that
                            > will show up soon? I first experineced this problem last summer,
                            it took the winter off, and is
                            > back again this summer. 60k on the car.
                            --
                            o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
                            Steve Goldfield - stevesag@... - Oakland, CA