Re: California utilities are testing plug in hybrids

  • Michael Pardee
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2007
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, GREGMCKAY@... wrote:

      > I agree.... BART is a fantasic system.
      >
      > Has it always been in place?
      >
      > Or was an original system pulled out and then later BART came
      along?

      > There are a number of cities now looking at putting systems back
      in after the original systems were pulled out. Of course the costs
      now are huge.

      It was an all-new system built in the late '60s and expanded over
      the years. When I was in high school in Oakland it was still derided
      as a "hole in the ground" and "Big A** Rat Trap" but almost as soon
      as it got running it was greeted with praise. Fickle public!

      The system was designed to be a backbone for the already reliable
      and practical regional bus systems. With the addition of "park 'n'
      ride" lots to serve the segment who weren't going to walk to a bus
      stop (for whatever reason) it really gets the job done. For those
      who haven't a clue what we are talking about, here is a system map.
      http://www.bart.gov/stations/map/systemMap.asp

      Mike
    • Michael Bender
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2007
        Michael Pardee wrote:
        > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, GREGMCKAY@... wrote:
        >> I agree.... BART is a fantasic system.
        >>
        >> Has it always been in place?
        >>
        >> Or was an original system pulled out and then later BART came
        > along?
        >>
        >> There are a number of cities now looking at putting systems back
        > in after the original systems were pulled out. Of course the costs
        > now are huge.
        >
        > It was an all-new system built in the late '60s and expanded over
        > the years. When I was in high school in Oakland it was still derided
        > as a "hole in the ground" and "Big A** Rat Trap" but almost as soon
        > as it got running it was greeted with praise. Fickle public!
        >
        > The system was designed to be a backbone for the already reliable
        > and practical regional bus systems. With the addition of "park 'n'
        > ride" lots to serve the segment who weren't going to walk to a bus
        > stop (for whatever reason) it really gets the job done. For those
        > who haven't a clue what we are talking about, here is a system map.
        > http://www.bart.gov/stations/map/systemMap.asp

        I believe that the reason that BART doesn't go down the SF Bay
        peninsula is because all the wealthy (read: white) homeowners
        in those communities didn't want "people from Oakland" riding
        BART into their communities, committing heinous crimes (in their
        words) and riding BART back with their ill-gotten spoils.

        Basically, from what I understand, racism, not economics, stopped
        BART from going any farther south than Daly City until just
        recently when the systems was extended to SFO and environs.

        mike
      • Michael Pardee
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2007
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bender
          <Michael.Bender@...> wrote:

          > I believe that the reason that BART doesn't go down the SF Bay
          > peninsula is because all the wealthy (read: white) homeowners
          > in those communities didn't want "people from Oakland" riding
          > BART into their communities, committing heinous crimes (in their
          > words) and riding BART back with their ill-gotten spoils.
          >
          > Basically, from what I understand, racism, not economics, stopped
          > BART from going any farther south than Daly City until just
          > recently when the systems was extended to SFO and environs.
          >
          > mike

          I'd heard that, and it could be true. When BART was originally
          scoped Oakland was truly a cesspool. My first apartment, on the
          corner of 10th Avenue and E 14th St, was burglarized three times in
          a two week period. I went to Fremont High School during the heyday
          of the Black Panthers and was pinned down in a race riot that closed
          the school. The police didn't appear on campus, and (according to my
          American Government teacher) they refused to escort the firemen on
          campus later when the library was firebombed. Those were the days of
          self-proclaimed revolutionaries, of Huey Newton's shootout with the
          Oakland police. After the riot one of my teachers asked the class
          why the riot occurred then, and not when Dr. King was killed. A
          student responded, "King was a 'Tom'! He didn't believe in killing
          Whitey." I was personally threatened a number of times at school and
          once beaten because I was white. If the reason for not expanding
          BART to the southwest was racism, it was not wholly irrational.

          Mike