Re: [toyota-prius] some interesting cars

  • Florian Steiper
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2007
      Paul Lawler wrote:
      > On May 2, 2007, at 11:36, Jon Wilson wrote:
      >

      >> I bet it will zap your wallet!
      >>

      > The web site lets you select your price. The choices are $60,000,
      > $75,000 or $100,000. ;o)
      >
      > Only $25,000 down and you're on the list to have one built for you.
      > <snigger>

      Hmmm, they claim they can recharge in 10 minutes... and also have a
      range of 350 miles... My prius needs around 0.5MJ/Km mechanic energy to
      move.. If that car needs the same, then it will need around 280MJ to
      move those 350 miles (350miles * 1.6km/mile * 0.5MJ/km)

      10 minutes = 600 seconds...

      Power=Energy/time

      280MJ/600 seconds =466666 WATT... 466KW.. around 660 HP... now, I want
      to see the plug for this charger :)

      Over here you usually manage around 3.6KW through one single 16A
      circuit... I don't know how much current you can carry at the 110V side
      of this world, but at 16 amps around half of it...

      anyways.. you can't just drop by at your friend that lives 200 miles
      away and use their socket in the garden/garage to recharge that thing in
      10 minutes :))

      ciao

      Florian

      > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

    • Daniel Armstrong
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2007
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Florian Steiper
        <florian.steiper@...> wrote:

        > Paul Lawler wrote:
        >snip<
        > 280MJ/600 seconds =466666 WATT... 466KW.. around 660 HP... now, I want
        > to see the plug for this charger :)
        >
        > Over here you usually manage around 3.6KW through one single 16A
        > circuit... I don't know how much current you can carry at the 110V
        > side
        > of this world, but at 16 amps around half of it...
        >
        > anyways.. you can't just drop by at your friend that lives 200 miles
        > away and use their socket in the garden/garage to recharge that thing
        > in 10 minutes :))

        According to Windows calculator it would require 337.68 Amps @ 460V 3ƒ³
        (phase). Not exactly available in most residential areas...

        BTW most US circuits are ~120V 60Hz 15 Amps 1800 Watts but the current
        draw is usually restricted to 12.5 amps and 1500 watts for safety.
        This is why heaters, hair dryers, etc. are always rated for 1500
        Watts. I strongly recommend to anyone having electrical work done in
        the home to have 20 Amp outlets and circuit breakers installed along
        with the required 12AWG wire. The benefits are better plug retention
        and less light dimming when a major appliance on that circuit is turned
        on. 20 Amp (NEMA 5-20) outlets are recognizable by the „Ÿ„§ | slots.
      • Terry .
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2007
          HUMMMMMM.... I like the body design of the Obvio 012 better than the
          828, but would take either one over my current 2001 G1 Classic since
          they can run on CNG. (: Of course of the EV versions were not soooo
          expensive, I would go for one of them instead.

          T e r r y