Re: [toyota-prius] Chrome Wheels

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Apr 1, 2007, at 4:39 PM, pmb wrote:

      > On ANY car, increasing the weight of the wheels is detrimental, and
      > reducing it is beneficial. Chrome plated STEEL wheels are a
      > patently bad idea any time (much more prone to cracking);

      Steel is more prone to cracking than cast aluminum? My bogosity meter
      is pegged full scale.

      There have been a lot of junk wheels sold to the North American
      market but this is because the wheels were made with substandard
      design and process, not the material.

      Also suggest if one is after the ultimate in performance that one
      *weigh* the old wheel and the new wheel. Most cast aluminum wheels
      weigh *more* than cheap OE steel wheels. And the cheap OE steel wheel
      is stronger. It will bend when the aluminum wheel breaks.

      Forged aluminum wheels are generally lighter than fabricated steel
      wheels.

      The good strong wheels I have seen all had TUV (Germany)
      certification. No new junk wheel ever did.

      If Bob's wife wants chrome wheels then I suggest having the OE wheels
      chromed. Plenty of wheel shops specialize in re-chroming wheels and
      there is no reason they can't chrome your wheels.

    • dipmaster9@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
        dkelly:
        You are indeed correct that steel wheels can crack when plated. This
        phenomenon is known as, "Hydrogen Embrittlement." The only cure that I know, is
        to bake the part at 375 F for 23 hours. We can chrome a lot of metals
        including Aluminum and Magnesium. Magnesium is tough to plate, owing to its high
        chemical reactivity. Also, anytime you put a metal on top of another metal, you
        will increase the weight of the plated item. How much? It depends upon the
        metal plated and its thickness. Chromium is normally applied in automotive
        applications at about 20 millionths of an inch (not much).
        When I get parts plated, I usually specify the following after buffing
        the part to get any lines or swirls out:
        1. Cyanide Copper Flash
        2. Cyanide Copper Plate
        3. Acid Copper Plate (followed by a good buffing)
        4. Nickel Plating
        5 Chromium plating.

        Hope this helps
        Ed

        In a message dated 4/2/2007 11:02:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dkelly@... writes:

        > Subj: Re: [toyota-prius] Chrome Wheels
        > Date: 4/2/2007 11:02:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time
        > From: dkelly@...
        > To: toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com
        > Sent from the Internet
        >

        > On Apr 1, 2007, at 4:39 PM, pmb wrote:
        >
        > >On ANY car, increasing the weight of the wheels is detrimental, and
        > >reducing it is beneficial. Chrome plated STEEL wheels are a
        > >patently bad idea any time (much more prone to cracking);
        >
        > Steel is more prone to cracking than cast aluminum? My bogosity meter
        > is pegged full scale.
        >
        > There have been a lot of junk wheels sold to the North American
        > market but this is because the wheels were made with substandard
        > design and process, not the material.
        >
        > Also suggest if one is after the ultimate in performance that one
        > *weigh* the old wheel and the new wheel. Most cast aluminum wheels
        > weigh *more* than cheap OE steel wheels. And the cheap OE steel wheel
        > is stronger. It will bend when the aluminum wheel breaks.
        >
        > Forged aluminum wheels are generally lighter than fabricated steel
        > wheels.
        >
        > The good strong wheels I have seen all had TUV (Germany)
        > certification. No new junk wheel ever did.
        >
        > If Bob's wife wants chrome wheels then I suggest having the OE wheels
        > chromed. Plenty of wheel shops specialize in re-chroming wheels and
        > there is no reason they can't chrome your wheels.
        >
        > --
        > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...
        > Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

      • pmb
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
          not just steel - that's OK

          CHROME PLATED steel is the problem

          check your meter...

          >> On ANY car, increasing the weight of the wheels is detrimental, and
          >> reducing it is beneficial. Chrome plated STEEL wheels are a
          >> patently bad idea any time (much more prone to cracking);
          >
          >Steel is more prone to cracking than cast aluminum? My bogosity meter
          >is pegged full scale.

        • Michael Pardee
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

            > On Apr 1, 2007, at 4:39 PM, pmb wrote:
            >
            > > On ANY car, increasing the weight of the wheels is detrimental,
            and
            > > reducing it is beneficial. Chrome plated STEEL wheels are a
            > > patently bad idea any time (much more prone to cracking);
            >
            > Steel is more prone to cracking than cast aluminum? My bogosity
            meter
            > is pegged full scale.

            My take on it when I first read the post was that the chromed steel
            is more prone to crazing and flaking than polished or brushed
            aluminum is. I could be mistaken, as your interpretation is more
            literal.

            Mike
          • Joseph M.
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
              And is it so that Chrome is extremely Toxic for humans to touch? I
              forget where I read this, but it was without question nor doubt.

              jojo.

              PS. love love love my 2004 Prius. #1. Tan. 113,000 miles runs and
              drives like(New) a smooth driving sports car. and I'm Averaging 60
              miles per gallon everyday. City/highway 60%/40% Daily. Pulse and Glide
              is fun.

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, pmb <PriusPete@...> wrote:

              > not just steel - that's OK
              >
              > CHROME PLATED steel is the problem
              >
              > check your meter...

            • Scott Snadow
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                Joseph M. wrote:
                > And is it so that Chrome is extremely Toxic for humans to touch? I forget where I read this, but it was without question nor doubt.

                Oh yes, very toxic. That's because it is made from Chromium and we all
                know that anything that ends with IUM is dangerous and radioactive and
                nobody wants it in their backyard.

                While we're on the off-topic, there's another killer that doesn't end in
                IUM, but you'd better make sure that there aren't any deposits of it in
                your city. Dihydrogen monoxide! See http://www.dhmo.org/ for the scary
                details.

                ...now, can we please return to something resembling a discussion of the
                Prius?

                Scott
              • pmb
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                  As stated earlier, and subsequently reaffirmed by another poster, it is the chrome plating process which can cause embrittlement & cracking of the steel itself, not just failure of the plating... hence my original comment.

                • Michael Pardee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph M." <mind_thoughts@...>
                    wrote:

                    > And is it so that Chrome is extremely Toxic for humans to touch? I
                    > forget where I read this, but it was without question nor doubt.
                    >
                    > jojo.
                    >
                    > PS. love love love my 2004 Prius. #1. Tan. 113,000 miles runs and
                    > drives like(New) a smooth driving sports car. and I'm Averaging 60
                    > miles per gallon everyday. City/highway 60%/40% Daily. Pulse and
                    Glide
                    > is fun.

                    Chromium is considered a trace mineral essential to health; chromium
                    picolinate is sold as a supplement. Like all trace minerals,
                    toxicity comes at fairly small doses. See
                    http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/chromium.html It's safe to touch,
                    but don't breathe it!

                    Mike