parable - possibly explaining.. something

  • pmb
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2007
      A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

      On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

      The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

      Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

      Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

      Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the one person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, as well as extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

      The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

      Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

      The End.
    • Jon Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
        Argh! Too close to the truth!

        Jon
        > A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors)
        > decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced
        > long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.
        >
        > On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.
        >
        > The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the
        > reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior
        > management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.
        >
        > Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person
        > steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person
        > rowing.
        >
        > Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a
        > consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second
        > opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the
        > boat, while not enough people were rowing.
        >
        > Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent
        > another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was
        > totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering
        > superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They
        > also implemented a new performance system that would give the one person
        > rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the
        > "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens
        > for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and
        > other equipment, as well as extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.
        >
        > The next year the Japanese won by two miles.
        >
        > Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor
        > performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and
        > canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was
        > distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing
        > team was out-sourced to India.
        >
        > The End.
      • Larry Finch
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
          On 2/27/07, pmb <PriusPete@...> wrote:

          > A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.
          >
          > On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.
          >
          > The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.
          >
          > Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.
          >
          > Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.
          >
          > Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the one person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, as well as extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.
          >
          > The next year the Japanese won by two miles.
          >
          > Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.
          >
          > The End.

          I have an illustrated PowerPoint presentation of this, but it is
          between Japan and France, not the US.

          best,

          Larry

          --
          Larry Finch

          N 40° 53' 47"
          W 74° 03' 56"
        • lfinch_prolifics
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Finch" <finches@...> wrote:

            > I have an illustrated PowerPoint presentation of this, but it is
            > between Japan and France, not the US.

            OK, here it is for download:

            http://www.varanusk.com/images/TheRace_xcllnt.pps