87607Re: Blocking the Radiator in Winter

  • Jayson
    Sep 1, 2005
      Attach some card board to the front side of the radiator. Tape will
      probably fall off in a few days so use zip ties or something
      equivilent.

      In my experiance, this has very limited effectiveness. Cooling
      systems have a thermostat so when cold the coolant bypasses the
      radiator. The cardboard mostly serves to stop ventilation to the
      engine compartment.

      <Please remember to change your replies to go to the list. Do not
      send me e-mail directly>

      Jay W
      505/287 Dakota

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Maryellen B. Smith"
      <MSmith5921@h...> wrote:
      > For a non-mechanical person could someone please tell me how to
      block the radiator with cardboard. ThelmaLouise2004 Tideland Pearl
      prius@yahoogroups.com>

      prius@yahoogroups.com>, "lawrence_d_lopez"
      <lopez@m<mailto:lopez@m>...>
      > wrote:
      > > I was wondering if anyone tried
      > > blocking the radiator in winter.
      > >
      > > This is common practice in many areas.
      > >
      > > For the VW Golf TDI it was really needed.
      > >
      > > I expect that it is also needed on the Prius.
      > >
      > > Are there any sold for the purpose items
      > > for this use ?
      > >
      > > I'll probably just use a piece of cardboard
      > > just like I've always done.
      >
      > I used that trick with great success in my Insight.
      > It and a "warm air intake" modification did wonders
      > durring a winter trip through the norther states.
      > But I don't use it much here at home as it's never cold enough.
      >
      > The Prius on the otherhand is a whole different beast, and
      > while I suspect that similar benefits might come from the
      > radiator and/or warm air mod I can't speak from experience.
      >
      > In the Insight the radiator blocking resulted in about 3
      > degrees warmer air intake temp per 1/3rd blockage. The
      > warm air modification which draws intake air from either
      > the catalitic converter or the top/rear of the engine
      > compartment resulted in an additional 10 degree F rise.
      > Notice: Never block the entire radiator!
      >
      > L8r
      > Ryan
      >
      > ps. Why does it help?
      > Engine compartment warms up faster, warm engine compartment air
      > stays under the hood longer, less heat disipated by radiator,
      > better air/fuel mixing, more complete combustion? I could be
      wrong.

      > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links,
      Database and Polls, go to