84832Re: Crushing more EV's

  • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
    Jun 1, 2005
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Jayson" <woodrufj@y...> wrote:
      > It's a federal requirement that concept and prototype cars don't
      end
      > up in the general public. Hence when the company no longer has use
      > for them, they crush them.

      Toyota's Rav4 EV was a production vehicle, for sale or lease in
      California, and I think fleets elsewhere (as Zipcar Boston has one
      that they like to bring to festivals). (The internet ordering system
      for the 2001-2002 Prius was discontinued in spring, 2002, to be
      retooled over for the new Rav4 EV rollout.) Production was
      discontinued in Spring of 2003. I know that Toyota could've sold
      more, if they actually made them available to the wide public. (only
      a handful of CA dealers were trained on the Rav4 EV, so that was the
      excuse that Toyota used to not sell them to a wider audience, even
      within CA...)

      Toyota's meager remaining web page on the Rav4 EV:
      http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/ravev/rav4ev_0_home/

      Owner email lists are at:

      Doesn't make much sense to crush returned leased vehicles, when the
      owners of purchased vehicles could still minimally use them as parts
      cars...
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic