74669Re: Ford Hybrid Escape article (Prius Classic A/C)

  • bobjbkln
    Jul 4, 2004
      I agree with Jerry's observations, but I want to point out that the
      air coming out of the A/C vents when the ICE is off some becomes
      noticeably warmer than when the ICE was engaged and the compressor
      on. Therefore, I believe the temperature that triggers the
      compressor to go on is different if the ICE is on than when it is off.
      --
      Peace,
      BobJ

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jorgenson <jerry@j...>
      wrote:
      > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:00:00 EDT
      > shrubnews@a... wrote:
      >
      > > That hasn't been my observation over the past year. If the temp
      sensor
      > > calls for compressor the engine stays on, even if the car is
      stopped.
      > > The AC in the Prius has an especially large refrigerant reservoir,
      > > however, so the compressor can shut down at times and the AC will
      > > continue to cool at maximum efficiency for several minutes.
      > >
      > > I haven't seen any difference with MAX on or off.
      > >
      > > Larry
      >
      > I see the following behaviour in my Classic:
      >
      > When the A/C is on Auto, the Prius' engine stops when the car is
      stopped.
      > It then comes back on with a minute or two to keep the refrigerant
      cold.
      > Turning off the A/C with the button (rather than the fan switch)
      stops the
      > engine immediately.
      >
      > I don't know that I've ever put it on MAX myself, but I had it
      serviced
      > the other day and someone else did. When on MAX everything runs all
      the
      > time. It took me a few minutes to realize that the setting was on
      MAX :-)

      > --
      > Jerry Jorgenson
      > jerry@j...