74580Re: Ford Hybrid Escape article

  • kmbaileyus
    Jul 1, 2004
      I gotta chime in here. For the classic Prius, the ICE runs when
      regular A/C is on when the vehicle is stopped, if the temp sensors
      determine it's necessary. We never run with Max on. The regular A/C
      button acts like an ICE on/off switch at a stoplight. I've confirmed
      this many times. Turn off A/C when stopped, and all other things
      being equal, the ICE also shuts off. Turn regular A/C back on, ICE
      fires up. Of course, _sometimes_ the ICE goes off if temp sensor
      thinks it doesn't need more A/C. I'm pretty sure the Max setting just
      forces the ICE to run all the time.

      If the article is correct about the Ford hybrid, then Ford screwed
      up. I was surprised when I read that. Toyota got it right.

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bobjbkln" <bobjbkln@h...> wrote:
      > I believe this is correct about the Classic's A/C. On regular A/C
      > engine shuts down to go into stealth or at a stop. This shuts down
      > the compressor even if the temp sensor calls for it to be on. On
      MAX
      > the compressor (and therefore the ICE) is always on (at least when
      > the temp sensor calls for it). It might be a bit more complicated
      > than this for regular A/C, with the computer in a stopped car
      turning
      > on the ICE and compressor when the temp reaches some amount above
      the
      > normal activation setting.
      >
      > BTW, during the spring and summer I always have the temp control
      set
      > at minimum (below 55º) except when I have on the A/C when I set it
      > 78º. That way I assure that when I want fan only, it will not be
      > heated.
      > --
      > Peace,
      > BobJ
      >

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, shrubnews@a... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 6/30/2004 9:02:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > > docaaron1@c... writes:
      > > >>>
      > > The article makes it sound like the Escape's A/C doesn't have a
      MAX
      > > switch. I almost didn't buy my Prius because I did not know
      about
      > > the MAX switch. I remember being in my wife's Camry caught in 90+
      > > degree weather bumper to bumper in an I-95 traffic jam. It made
      me
      > > think about what would happen with the A/C stopping with the
      family
      > > in the car. Shortly after I found out about the MAX switch
      through
      > > this group.
      > > <<<<
      > >
      > > In the year I've had my Classic I've never used or needed the MAX
      > switch. The
      > > thermostat seems to know when MAX is needed.I've never disagreed
      > with its
      > > decision.
      > >
      > > Larry
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic