27397Re: Tax incentives; HOV lanes; other beTnnies

  • reresubmit
    Feb 1, 2002
      Almost all of these have been discussed--some excruciatingly--but
      there are few definitive answers.

      Check Bookmarks>Financial, lots of stuff there:
      prius/links/Financial_000963256550/

      Federal tax (I'm not a tax professional, yada yada):
      $1500 deduction for sure
      ~$2000 credit is debatable, and the latest IRS pubs, though poorly
      drafted, clearly intend that the Prius is not eligible

      CA advantages (I'm still not a tax professional):
      I don't know what CEDD is
      IMO, it's a disgrace how slow CA has been to provide incentives for
      folks to buy the Prius or Insight. San Joaquin air quality district
      has an incentive in place:
      http://www.valleyair.org/transportation/ldv%20program/trans%2Dldv.htm
      The state has been trying to get one up & running, but I'm skeptical
      that it will ever happen:
      http://www.energy.ca.gov/highmpg/index.html
      Both must be arranged before vehicle purchse.
      Unambiguous NO from CARB on HOV use solo, 'cause it uses gas:
      http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/faq.htm

      Alex
      LO EMISN
      San Carlos, CA