14426Re: [toyota-prius] Re: cassette clicking?

  • David Fox
    Jul 2, 2001
      Very interesting! I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area -- definitely not
      known for being humid. I also started thinking it might be a static
      electricity thing. Today there was no problem. Different tape, different
      weather? Might some cassette tape stock be more prone to building up a
      static charge?

      At 05:04 PM 7/2/2001, mrv@... wrote:
      >--- In toyota-prius@y..., David Fox <david@E...> wrote:
      > > I also just stared noticing a problem with my cassette player --
      >I'm
      > > hearing a frequent clicking noise, almost like a spark. Anyone have
      >this
      > > happen?
      >
      >I don't use my cassette often enough to have noticed this but...
      >
      >What is the humidity like in your area (or car) when you hear the
      >clicking noise through the speakers when a cassette is playing?
      >
      >I used to be a state licensed motion picture operator. At college,
      >we had a set of older, well-maintained, former drive-in 35/70mm movie
      >projectors dating from the 50s/60s (roadshow capable). Typically, in
      >a projection booth, you want to keep the air as dry and humidity-free
      >as possible, to extend the life of the projector's compontents (from
      >rust and the like).
      >
      >However, VERY occasionally we'd luck out and get a 70mm magnetic-
      >audio striped film to show. (Usually the audio track on a movie
      >would be optical-based.) The only way to keep from hearing a
      >frequent, random pop/click in the audio of the movie would be to have
      >a handheld spray bottle of water, and mist in the general area of the
      >film and the magnetic audio head. The increased humidity would stop
      >the ever-present static buildup of the print from discharging on the
      >magnetic reading sound head. After the movie's run was over, we'd
      >have to run at extra-dry and check over the components again...
      >
      >Working in a projection booth, you come to know, love, hate, and
      >respect static discharge... sorry to get a bit off-topic, but...
      >
      >-mrv

      David Fox
      Electric Eggplant Entertainment
      415 460-6570 (home office)