124927Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Request recommendation for a product for exterior surface care?

    Jul 4, 2014
      One good, and inexpensive headlight lens cleaner is Kit Scratch-Off (use the liquid in the yellow bottle).  It's about $5 at most hardware stores.  Apply with a microfiber cloth and you'll be amazed how much improvement after five minutes of light work.  You will want to apply a few times initially, but after that a light touch once a month will keep them nearly new.

      On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Kevin Groeneweg kgroeneweg@... [toyota-prius] <toyota-prius-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      For the DIY types, my recommendation for the first time after several years would be to use a clay bar kit (detailing clay plus lubricant), which should remove the embedded grime and is very easy to use (use a microfiber towel to wipe off the lubricant).  Then apply Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, a polymer wax that is extremely easy to apply and wipe off (with a clean microfiber towel).  If you have tar that doesn't come off after the initial washing (with a good car wash product), there are various bug/tar remover products that should make quick work of it.  Use that during the wash so that things are as clean as you can get them prior to using the detailing clay and/or wax.  There are various headlight lens cleaner products out there if yours are getting cloudy.

      I just gave my 2007 the treatment before the harsh Kansas summer sets in, which consisted of detailing clay, polish (not a wax, but a polish with a very fine abrasive to remove swirls and such in the clear coat), Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (actually a paint sealant rather than a wax, applied with a foam pad) and a headlight lens cleaner (I forget the brand).

      Wichita, KS

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic