120450Re: Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy

  • mstevendickerson
    Feb 23, 2012
      I think I will sue GM for my old 1984 K35 rack truck only getting 7MPG when EPA said it would get 10 MPG. I am outraged!

      steve d
      02 super white 263,000 miles (43.6 MPG ave over 10 years).

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:25 PM, ChrisZ wrote:
      >
      > > Thought this was interesting. So much for the, "Your mileage may vary," statement. ;-)
      > >
      > > http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-honda-lawsuit-20120202,0,845180.story
      >
      > I think its a sad day for everyone but the woman who won a paltry $9,867.19. This is a case of Lawyers Gone Wild. If the EPA says 50 MPG and the manufacturer can not base advertising on that figure, then what is the point?
      >
      > Key points:
      >
      > > Her award was far greater than the damages she would have collected had she signed onto a class-action-lawsuit settlement over similar claims against Honda.
      > >
      > > Peters sued Honda after learning that the proposed settlement covering her 2006 vehicle would pay trial lawyers $8.5 million while Civic hybrid owners would get as little as $100 and rebate coupons for the purchase of a new car.
      >
      > And finally we get to the meat of the matter:
      >
      > > Peters wants other Civic hybrid owners to file suits against Honda in various small claims courts across the state, making the automaker fight a multi-front legal battle in which it would be unable to bring its legal forces to bear.
      > >
      > > She said more than 500 owners have contacted her through her website, DontSettleWithHonda.org, which explains how Peters filed her lawsuit against the automaker.
      > >
      > > Peters said she planned to reactivate her state law license so that she can represent other Civic owners in litigation against Honda.
      >
      > So what we learn is that Peters is no better than the class action suit lawyers who were looking to pocket $8.5M, that she is going (back) into business for her self to cash in on a dubious claim others have successfully prosecuted.
      >
      > It reminds me of John Edwards, whose fortune was made claiming doctors caused problems by *not* performing caesarean sections. Almost single-handedly he struck fear into doctors raising the US cesarean rate to nearly 1 in 3. Never mind the harm it causes the mother, its the baby one gets sued over.
      >
      > --
      > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...
      > Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic