120272Re: Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy

  • ChrisZ
    Feb 3, 2012
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Walter Lee <waltermlee@...> wrote:

      > This case is particular to the Honda Civic Hybrid(HCH) in that it has had a history of HV battery failures. Honda's response was to update the computer software to kick in the battery recharging at a higher State of Charge Level. The plantiff Ms Peters claimed that a Honda software update to her Honda Civic Hybrid ECU caused her car's fuel efficiency to drop to 30 mpg.

      **Just to play the devil's advocate here**, she didn't seem to claim that her traction battery failed prematurely and that she should be reimbursed for that. Isn't that what she should have sued for? She claimed the car didn't get as good of gas mileage as Honda's EPA estimate. We discussed here many times how the estimated EPA mileage numbers are based on very specific driving patterns that don't always represent day-to-day real world driving. And "average" can be a very tricky thing in itself. I'd be curious to know what kind of records she submitted supporting her case. The judgement was an impressive 26 pages long.

      Just out of curiosity, I looked up the EPA's information on the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid fuel economy. The "real world average" reported is 45 mpg.

      http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=yourMpgVehicle&id=22643

      Consumer Reports got 37 mpg overall, so it was known at the time that the car probably wouldn't average 50 mpg.

      "Consumer Reports' testers were disappointed in the fuel economy results when we tested the 2006 Civic Hybrid. The car achieved 37 mpg overall, with 26 mpg in the city and 47 mpg on the highway."

      http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/02/car-owner-heather-mills-sues-honda-over-2006-civic-hybrid-mileage-claims-and-wins.html

      --CZ

      P.S. I'm now even happier that I did not buy a Honda Civic Hybrid in 2002 when I bought my Prius. I briefly considered it.

      P.P.S I'm currently averaging around 35 mpg in this weird Minnesota winter, with my particular driving pattern. Should I sue Toyota? [wink] [grin] [just kidding]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic