120111Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Starter Battery Substitute?

    Jan 7, 2012
      On Jan 7, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Ed wrote:

      > As for the battery, I'm thinking of going with the Prius version of the Optima yellow top Rayn W mentioned in his post. Price-wise the cost would be about the same (as the correct size LiFePO4 battery) and I wouldn't need to modify anything.

      I think it will cost a lot less than a "correct size LiFePO4 battery" because such "correct size" is much bigger than LiFePO4 vendors would have you believe. LiFePO4 vendors use a fictional PBEq amp-hour rating based on their claim that a lead-acid battery must not be discharged more than 30% to effectively start an engine while a "same PBEq" LiFePO4 can start at 90% discharge. So they claim PBEq of 3 times the actual amp-hour capacity. The Prius point here is the focus on the ability to run a starter which the Prius doesn't have. Your 2007 has a real 36 amp-hour battery while a LiFePO4 36 AH PBEq will be only 12 AH, 24 short of the very stuff the Prius needs/wants.

      The 12V Prius not-starter battery runs things like the computers, radio, lights, and brakes. It needs real amp-hour capacity not fake starter-based PBEq capacity.