120107Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Starter Battery Substitute?

    Jan 6, 2012
      On Jan 6, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Ed wrote:

      >> Why "is it time"?
      >
      > My starter battery is getting weak and I had to jump start the car a couple of times. In the meantime I turned off the "magic key" feature that allows me to unlock the doors and start the engine with the fob in my pocket. It's inconvenient but it's buying me some time to find a new battery. :+)

      Thank-you. I asked because so many people get frightened into replacing batteries (and changing oil) that are a total waste of time, money, and resources.

      Then again I go off and ask such things and this morning got a red triangle on my 2007 and the car seemed to be locked up half-way into booting. Couldn't turn it off. Couldn't put it in gear. Stepped out and tried to open the hatch but it was locked. Eventually the MFD started doing something and asked me to apply the parking brake because the transmission parking pawl (or to that effect) was stuck. Parking brake didn't help but eventually I was able to turn the car off. On reboot all was fine.

      No dim lights. Door locks work just fine. Previous days were colder than this morning. We'll wait and see what happens.