120087Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Starter Battery Substitute?

    Jan 5, 2012
      On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:46 AM, Felix wrote:

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> If my 2007 Prius needed a new 12V battery then I'd consider these:
      >> http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/upc-telecom/U1HR1500S.html
      >
      > Why high-rate? U1 is a common electric (power) wheelchair battery size, 1 step below 22NF which is ~55AH.
      >
      > Any U1 or 22NF AGM would be fine for Prius use, I would only spring for high-rate if I had a large power inverter that I planned on using with the car not READY.
      >
      > For that matter if you can handle only having ~18AH of capacity just buy a cheap jump-start pack and pull the battery from it.

      I dont *recommend* that battery, only I would *consider* it. Primarily because at that site (which is where the O.P. started) that was the first suitable battery I found with vent nipples.

      One saving grace of the (IMHO) over-hyped Optima battery is that http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php says: