120080Re: [toyota-prius] Starter Battery Substitute?

  • Michael Welch
    Jan 4, 2012
      I am a bit conservative when it comes to these kinds of things. I am not at all interested in being an early adapter of technology when the original technology is just fine. Risky business:

      Note that this is a much smaller capacity than the original battery, and so you will be in danger of draining it more quickly than the original. For example, leaving a dome light on overnight might completely drain the battery.

      Second, it's probably not the case but the charge/discharge characteristics might not be compatible with your car's charging system. (Manufacturer's claim of "drop-in replacement" not withstanding.) Seems like a risk to me.

      Third, I don't trust the claims. Most lithium batteries require a cell-level battery management system.

      Finally, there is an excellent infrastructure for the full recycling of lead-acid batteries which does not yet exist for other technologies. What are you going to do with it when it needs to be replaced?

      It seems to me that the only advantage of this battery is weight, which is not an issue with a accessory or starter battery in a car. For motorcycles and for larger traction batteries yes, but not your Prius's accessory batt.

      Ed wrote at 08:10 PM 1/3/2012:

      >It's time for me to get a new starter battery for my 2007 Prius and I'm looking hard at this Lithium LiFePO4 battery. It's supposed to be rated as PBEq meaning its a drop in replacement for a lead starter battery.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic