120079Re: [toyota-prius] Starter Battery Substitute?

  • Lee Hart
    Jan 4, 2012
      On 1/3/2012 10:10 PM, Ed wrote:
      > It's time for me to get a new starter battery for my 2007 Prius and
      > I'm looking hard at this Lithium LiFePO4 battery. It's supposed to
      > be rated as PBEq meaning its a drop in replacement for a lead
      > starter battery.
      >
      > http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX09A2-BS12.html
      >
      > Does anyone know anything about these?

      Beware: The weight (1.23 lbs) tells me this is a "scam" battery, with a
      negligible amphour capacity. There's no way to get 12v at 9ah from 1.23
      lbs worth of LiFePO4 cells. At best, it's probably half this capacity.

      You can get away with a battery having a negligible amphour capacity to
      start an ICE, because you only need a few seconds of high current. 10
      seconds at 360 amps is only 1 amphour. That's why folks can still use
      decade-old lead-acids in a car; their amphour capacity is gone, but they
      can still provide a few seconds of current to start it.

      But the Prius doesn't use its 12v battery for starting. Instead, the
      usual problem is that the battery goes dead when the car is not driven,
      when all the parasitic 12v loads run it dead.

      If I remember correctly, the stock lead-acid battery in the Prius is
      around 28ah for the original 2001-2003, and 36ah for the later models.
      The stock battery goes dead if you leave the car parked for more than
      about 3 weeks. This little lithium battery would be dead in just a few days.

      Do you remember the old trick of selling "special ultralight racing
      batteries" for cars, motorcycles, R/C models, etc? It was a larger
      battery case, filled with cardboard and the next size smaller battery.
      Sold at a high price, too!

      --
      Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.
      -- R. Buckminster Fuller
      Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic