120078Re: [toyota-prius] Starter Battery Substitute?

    Jan 4, 2012
      On Jan 3, 2012, at 10:10 PM, Ed wrote:

      > It's time for me to get a new starter battery for my 2007 Prius

      Why "is it time"?

      > and I'm looking hard at this Lithium LiFePO4 battery. It's supposed to be rated as PBEq meaning its a drop in replacement for a lead starter battery.
      >
      > http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX09A2-BS12.html
      >
      > Does anyone know anything about these?

      First, you should know this is NOT the starter battery for your Prius. It starts off the high voltage traction battery. The 12V battery only serves to boot the computers, lights, and other relatively low power stuff (such as the power button) that needs to be powered when the car is "off". Also powers the brakes even when the car is off which is about 30A for as long as your foot is on the brake.

      Shorai is one of the first brands to jump on marketing LiFePO4 to the US. I have an 8AH PbEq Ballistic brand LiFePO4 in my dirtbike where it has to turn the starter (unlike the Prius). For some dirtbike situations the LiFePO4 battery is an upgrade, in others it is a downgrade. Let the battery soak in the cold overnight below freezing and it probably will not crank the 450cc 4-stroke single first try. But trying causes currents through the battery's internal resistance to heat the battery which stimulates the chemistry and about the 3rd try the battery is warm enough to start the bike.

      Study the dimensions carefully. I think the battery that will ship will be smaller than that picture.

      http://www.ballisticparts.com/ shows my "4 Cell EVO2" battery as being 60mm (2-3/8") x 60mm (2-3/8") x 103mm (4-1/16").

      If my 2007 Prius needed a new 12V battery then I'd consider these:
      http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/upc-telecom/U1HR1500S.html

      Also shop for Miata batteries. Widely available. Maintenance free AGM just as your OE Prius battery.

      As with most any battery you will have to shim the battery compartment to hold the smaller battery and probably adapt the Prius power cables.