119210Re: Prius on the highway, was: Arrived

  • ChrisZ
    Aug 2, 2011
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

      > On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:
      >
      > > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now drive.
      >
      > I bought one of these new in 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50Z96o6YpM.
      > My 2007 Prius is faster than the 2.6L 5-speed.
      >
      > Don't know if this link will work: http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/l-q1cv9smjdfo9yn.jpg else go 2/3rds down this page to "Dodge Challenger (1978)" http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/cars-ads-1970s/6
      >
      > > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not uncomfortable.
      > >
      > > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
      > > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I will likely never try that speed again.

      > 20 MPH under the prevailing speed is just as dangerous as 20 MPH over the prevailing speed. "Speed" does NOT kill. A difference in speed does.
      >
      > --
      > David Kelly

      If the "prevailing speed" is over the speed limit, *no one* is obligated to also break the speed limit. When the highway patrol pulls you over and writes you a $135 ticket, do you think that the "prevailing speed" argument will get you out of it? We seem to live in a nation of scofflaws, almost outlaws, and would be anarchists who think they should never pay taxes or drive the speed limit. Sheesh.

      --CZ
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic