119193Re: [toyota-prius] Prius on the highway, was: Arrived

    Aug 1, 2011
      On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

      > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now
      > drive.

      I bought one of these new in 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50Z96o6YpM.
      My 2007 Prius is faster than the 2.6L 5-speed.

      Don't know if this link will work: http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/l-q1cv9smjdfo9yn.jpg else go 2/3rds down this page to "Dodge Challenger (1978)" http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/cars-ads-1970s/6

      > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not
      > uncomfortable.
      >
      > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG
      > I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
      > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I
      > will likely never try that speed again.

      20 MPH under the prevailing speed is just as dangerous as 20 MPH over the prevailing speed. "Speed" does NOT kill. A difference in speed does.