      From: David Kelly <dkelly@...>
      Subject: Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Plug-in Prius When?
      To: "Paul Lawler" <plawler@...>
      Cc: "Toyota Prius" <toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 7:47 PM

      On Aug 1, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Paul Lawler wrote:

      > Not to mention a) Chevron sold Cobasys to Samsung/Bosch in July, 2009 and b) the patents expire on December 31, 2013.
      > If any automaker (including Toyota) wants to use large NiMH batteries in cars to be sold in 2013, they had certainly better be working on them right now.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobasys#Patent_dispute_with_Panasonic_EV_Energy says the terms of the agreement restrict Toyota and Panasonic in North America only until the 2nd half of 2010. We're there already.

      If Toyota was still interested in pursuing large NiMH batteries they would have released new models the day after the above agreement permitted. I believe they did not because having been forced to investigate other means they have found what they believe to be a better solution. Otherwise "its only money" and Toyota would happily use whatever results in the most bang for the buck.

      Doubt there was any conspiracy to restrict use of NiMH batteries in EV. I think an idiot at the negotiating table wrongly misread how much Toyota and Panasonic could be bled for. Once the breaking point was reached Toyota/Panasonic would not have anything to do with them again. If I'm reading it right Cobasys ended up with almost nothing for being greedy. This sort of thing happens in business all the time.