      From: Mike Dimmick
      To: 'Mike Dimmick' ; 'Stan' ; 'Paul Lawler'
      Cc: 'Toyota Prius'
      Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:27 PM
      Subject: RE: [toyota-prius] Hybrid battery

      I did some further searching at the USPTO for patents assigned to Chevron
      where the title includes 'battery' and found patent #6,864,013: 'Monoblock
      battery assembly with cross-flow cooling'. The assignments register shows
      that this was originally assigned by the named inventors to Ovonic Battery
      Company, Inc in December 2000. This was later assigned, in December 2003, by
      OBC to Texaco Ovonic Battery Systems LLC (Cobasys). Finally, in August 2004,
      it was assigned again to Chevron Texaco Technology Ventures LLC, who are the
      current assignees.

      The site allows you to click an assignee to get their list of assignments,
      which are as follows:

      6330925 (HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE INCORPORATING AN INTEGRATED PROPULSION
      SYSTEM)
      6557655 (HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE)
      6837321 (HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE INCORPORATING AN INTEGRATED PROPULSION
      SYSTEM)
      6537700 (NICKEL POSITIVE ELECTRODE MATERIAL WITH MISCH METAL ADDITIVES)
      6605375 (METHOD OF ACTIVATING HYDROGEN STORAGE ALLOY ELECTRODE)
      6617072 (POSITIVE ACTIVE ELECTRODE COMPOSITION WITH GRAPHITE ADDITIVE)
      6740446 (ELECTROCHEMICAL CELL WITH ZIGZAG ELECTRODES)
      6623562 (APPARATUS FOR FABRICATING PASTED ELECTRODES)
      6593024 (HYDROGEN STORAGE BATTERY AND METHODS FOR MAKING)
      7264901 (MONOBLOCK BATTERY)
      Application 2004/0002004 (Nickel positive electrode material with misch
      metal additives)
      Application 2006/0067874 (METHOD OF PRODUCING A NICKEL SALT SOLUTION)

      Patent 6,864,013 references patent 5,356,735 (Heated/cooled battery)
      assigned to General Motors. This hasn't been assigned to anyone else.

      It also references 6,255,015 (Monoblock battery assembly) which the
      full-text search engine says is assigned to Ovonic Battery Company but which
      the assignee database says was again assigned in 2004 to ChevronTexaco
      Technology Ventures LLC. Note the different spelling. There's another whole
      raft of patents and applications transferred from ECD/OBC/Cobasys to CTV
      with this spelling.

      I can't find a press release from Chevron announcing sale of its interest in
      Cobasys which might indicate whether these patents have been licensed. ECD's
      press release only talks about their own patents, not Chevron's. This press
      release gets multiple hits all over the web.

      Cobasys' crown jewels appear to have been robbed by its then parent. SB
      LiMotive have been sold a pup. Chevron is very much still the bogeyman.

      If you want to search for yourself, try:

      http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm
      http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=pat

      --
      Mike Dimmick