      From: Peter Blackford <PriusPete@...>
      To: Toyota Prius <toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: Chuck Jones <charlesevanjones@...>; toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 1:51:23 PM
      Subject: Re: [toyota-prius] Re: oil change

      Yes - and at the heart of it is the fact that according to a friend over there "no manufacturer can sell a car if they state a shorter oil change interval"... not a legal thing, just practical marketing.

      Now, does anyone have a clue WHY motor oil is that expensive over there (other than, of course, a liter is larger than a quart)?

      OTOH, I don't recall any verifiable studies which show engines in the UK lasting fewer miles before major service than here -- if anything maybe the opposite is true, since Brits seem to be more careful with regular maintenance than their american cousins...

      well, that ought to start something! ;-)