110976Re: Water Pump Failure at 106,000 miles...???

  • freshsqueezedsaturns
    Aug 2, 2008
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Finch" <finches@...>

      <stephan@...>wrote:

      > > Folks,
      > >
      > > just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
      > > pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the
      overflow
      > > reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
      > > miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking
      somewhere and
      > > needs to be replaced.
      > >
      > > What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems.
      Could
      > > they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last
      time
      > > that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe
      the
      > > Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
      > > cases" reported?
      > >
      > > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me
      > > keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
      > > replaced.
      > >

      > Water pump seal failures are common in all cars. Few last even 100L
      miles,
      > so it's a likely suspect if you have coolant loss and no visible
      leaks.

      > best,
      >
      > Larry
      >

      > --
      > Larry Finch
      >
      > N 40° 53' 47"
      > W 74° 03' 56"

      2001 prius 118758km had water pump done because it was getting
      progressively noisy. Not leaking yet. Toyota Ext warranty didn't
      consider it covered even though 'noise' started within warranty. I
      don't know if they would have preferred it to fail, overheat, fry
      something, then cover it. Had the belt done at the same time. Cost
      299.00 CAD. NC for coolant.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic