110967Re: Water Pump Failure at 106,000 miles...???

  • Michael Pardee
    Aug 1, 2008
      Most water pumps in the Classic Prius make it farther than that, but
      100K miles is still a respectable life for a pump. If the pump is
      leaking, the coolant will be dripping out the "weep hole" (applies
      to all water pumps.) In the Classic Prius the water pump is expertly
      hidden under the intake hose of the air cleaner. The weep hole is
      probably on the bottom of the pump, where the crank pulley blocks
      the view from underneath. But if you could see it, a pink residue
      around the hole would betray the water pump as the culprit.

      I'm sure the coolant, like most coolant, is fluorescent. A look
      under the hood with a black light in darkened conditions should tell
      where the leak is. The pump and hoses are the main suspects.

      Mike

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Stephan Jennebach"
      <stephan@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > just got back from the 105,000 mile service at 106,600. Technician
      > pointed out that I was almost completely out of coolant in the
      overflow
      > reservoir - they had just flushed the system and refilled it 8,000
      > miles ago. He said most likely the Water Pump is leaking somewhere
      and
      > needs to be replaced.
      >
      > What is you guys' opinion? 2003 Prius, never any major problems.
      Could
      > they have done something wrong when they flushed the system last
      time
      > that would cause it to leak now? Or is it reasonable to believe
      the
      > Water Pump is kaput after over 100,000 miles? Any previous "known
      > cases" reported?
      >
      > Thank you in advance for any advice. As for now, the tech told me
      > keep an eye on the reservoir - if it keeps dropping, have the pump
      > replaced.
      >
      > Stephan, in his 2003 Silver Strata Metallic '03 Prius at 106,600
      miles
      > in hot and humid Rochester, MN

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic