102183Prius tires (was: Re: 60+ MPG is easy.)

  • Andrew
    May 1, 2007
      Sigh... you're adding in your own words in there and coming up w/your
      own rationalizations.

      Look at the sidewalls of YOUR tires. Nowhere on the Integrities does
      it say that 44 psi is the maximum RECOMMENDED pressure. It says "300
      KPa (44 psi) MAX. PRESS". It also says "SAFETY WARNING: SERIOUS
      INJURY MAY RESULT FROM THE TIRE FAILURE DUE TO
      UNDERINFLATION/OVERLOADING - FOLLOW OWNER'S MANUAL OR TIRE PLACARD
      PLACED IN VEHICLE."

      Guess what? The manual says to see the placard. The vehicle placard
      says 35 psi front, 33 rear.

      To repeat, the tire manufacturer says at
      http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Inflation.html "The inflation
      pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM operating pressure. It
      is not necessarily the right inflation for your vehicle. Always use
      the inflation recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You can find it
      in your owner's manual, posted on the edge of the driver's door, on a
      door post or on the inside of the glovebox door."

      Bridgestone, the manufacturer of the tires on US touring 07+ Priuses
      says essentially the same thing.

      At this point, I think we can both agree to disagree.

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, GREGMCKAY@... wrote:

      > You keep trying to reduce this to a single element..... and it
      changes too....??

      > Sheesh. Look at the sidewall of your tires. The manufacturer of
      the tires put that info there. See what the Max Cold Pressure is.
      You are good at "any" pressure up to that. This does NOT mean you
      would be good at 10psi. Why do tires blow when going flat? because
      of the amount of heating from the extreme amount of flexing when
      underinflated.

      > By not going above the max cold tire pressure recommended by the
      manufacturer, you are not deforming the tire to a different chape.

      > The Prius is a heavy vehicle for its size. Many tires of the
      appropriate size are not rated for the weight of the Prius.

      > Enjoy.

    • Show all 33 messages in this topic