FW: Mama Edda Leatherback - a recycling message to Caribbean children

  • Jose Urteaga
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2011

    Excelente material para niños en el Caribe.

    Saludos

    Dear WIDECAST family,

    Those of you who attended the 2011 WIDECAST annual meeting in San Diego in April will remember enjoying a video and music clip from one of our most recent collaborations -- Reggae Pickney's "The Reggae Band Rescues Mama Edda Leatherback."
    The Jamaican group's first CD storybook, “Shaggy Parrot and the Reggae Band” http://www.reggaepickney.com/ won the National Parenting Center's "Seal of Approval" in 2009 http://tnpc.com/search/tnpcarticle2.asp?rec=6308  Like the first book, this second CD storybook features the Grammy-winning voice of Jamaica's "music icon" SHAGGY, and it tells the story of a leatherback turtle journeying toward her nesting beach when she falls ill from eating a plastic bag.  The artwork is excellent, and the music is totally engaging!  I have attached a brochure, as well as a "tease" ... the music from one of the story's early songs "Eggs in her Belly".  Jana Bent (Project Director at KQC Enterprises, the makers of Reggae Pickney Products) tells me that she'll have books in hand by August!  We're working on a grant that will enable us to provide copies of the book to all WIDECAST Country Coordinators.  Many, many thanks to Jana and her very talented team for creating this incredibly useful resource, which I know will be very useful in your efforts to reduce marine litter, encourage recycling, and encourage children to think about the consequences of their waste-disposal habits.  More soon!

    Hugs, Karen

    Emacs!

    Dr. Karen L. Eckert
    Executive Director
    Wider Caribbean Sea Turtle Conservation
       Network (WIDECAST)
    1348 Rusticview Drive
    Ballwin, Missouri 63011
    Tel: (314) 954-8571
    keckert@...
    www.widecast.org

    "We have a responsibility to join together on
         behalf of the world we seek."
    President Barak Obama, Cairo University