PLEASE HELP! Rescue Turtle- Soft Shell desease?

  • mice_advice
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hi, I just received a 1 1/2 inch Red Eared Slider as a rescue. He
      seems to be suffering from "soft shell". It could actually tear if
      tried. I have him basking in the sun trying to bring his temperature
      up. I'm not very familiar with turtle deseases, or how to cure this.
      Does anyone know how to help him get better. I guess he needs vitamin
      C & D, and plenty of dry basking. I know they only eat in water
      though. I'm studing veterinary medicine to be an assistant, I own a
      rat & Mouse group on yahoo called "Mice_Advice". I could tell you
      anything you need to know about dogs, cats, mice and rats, but
      turtles are a diffrent story. lol If anyone could help, thank you!-
      Jennifer Hobbs
    • traveling_turtles
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2003
        You may add some salt to his water, that will help shell damage. Also
        sounds like he needs some calsium (sp) Most pet shops have the little
        white turtle blocks you can add to the water. Some are also
        medicated. What are you feeding him? Make sure he getts plenty of
        earth worms & offer different fruits & veggies.
        DO NOT give him hamburger, pork or ham! Turtles like those foods but
        they ARE NOT good for them.
        Turkey & Chicken is alright & good for turtles. You can also buy
        calsium powder to sprinkle over their food. Or even put "Tums" (anti-
        acid) in their water.Make sure you change his water every day. Let
        him decide how much time he wants to spend in the water & how much
        time he wants to sun bathe. A wading pool in half shade & half sun
        would allow him to choose. Never put a tank out doors in the sun! A
        turtle will bake in it very quickly. It doesn;t take long for them to
        heat up. Stress is also very harmful for a sick turtle. So try not to
        handle him any more than nessasary. Help him feel safe & secure, Give
        him a place to hide.
        --- In tortoiseshellsociety@yahoogroups.com, "mice_advice"
        <jenniferhobbs_@h...> wrote:
        > Hi, I just received a 1 1/2 inch Red Eared Slider as a rescue. He
        > seems to be suffering from "soft shell". It could actually tear if
        > tried. I have him basking in the sun trying to bring his
        temperature
        > up. I'm not very familiar with turtle deseases, or how to cure
        this.
        > Does anyone know how to help him get better. I guess he needs
        vitamin
        > C & D, and plenty of dry basking. I know they only eat in water
        > though. I'm studing veterinary medicine to be an assistant, I own a
        > rat & Mouse group on yahoo called "Mice_Advice". I could tell you
        > anything you need to know about dogs, cats, mice and rats, but
        > turtles are a diffrent story. lol If anyone could help, thank you!-
        > Jennifer Hobbs
      • dale drinnon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2003
          I have nothing to add for advice, but I DO hope your
          turtle gets better!! many of these small turtles do
          not make it, so hope for the best and do what you can
          ! Dale D.

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • bennydrinnon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
            Direct sunlight ( meaning that it hasn't gone through glass, which
            filters out ultraviolet rays ) is good for turtles, but it is
            important that they also have shade so that they won't get too hot.
            Hope your turtle gets better. - Benny the fan -
            -- In tortoiseshellsociety@yahoogroups.com, "traveling_turtles"