Arbortext Users Meeting 2/26: DITA at Nikon Precision

  • Liz Fraley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2011
      Notice: This is a post about an upcoming Webinar / Virtual User Meeting

      Register: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/537857475

      Title: Nikon Precision tranforming content with DITA

      Speaker:

      Debra West-Maciaszek is a Senior Information Architect/XML Production
      Manager at Nikon Precision, Inc. She joined NPI in October 1995 as a
      technical writer after leaving a career in academia where she taught
      technical writing and contemporary literature. Over the past 15 years,
      have served as technical writer, editor, supervisor, Documentation
      department manager. Debra implemented XML structured authoring / DITA
      in 2008. She is still the DITA evangelist at NPI. Despite
      transitioning out of managing people, Debra transitioned into managing
      the technical aspects of XML DITA in Spring 2009. She is currently
      implementing a content management system (Windchill PDMLink)  almost
      single-handedly. When asked, she’ll tell you she’s still learning
      about DITA.

      Abstract:

      Nikon Precision Inc (NPI), located in the United States, serves as the
      sales and service support arm for the Nikon semiconductor
      manufacturing tools. All design and manufacturing occurs in Japan;
      therefore, all technical information originates in Japanese. Since NPI
      is the center for all English language documentation, there are not
      only technical hurdles but time constraints in getting technical
      information to our field service employees as well as our external
      customers.  And with photolithographic technologies advancing rapidly,
      NPI’s Documentation department was struggling.

      In 2008, NPI’s Documentation department moved from monolithic,
      book-length technical materials (and ways of thinking) to using DITA
      and structured information for reuse. We transitioned from using
      unstructured FrameMaker to using Arbortext Editor/Styler/Architect and
      will be managing content with PTC’s Windchill PDMLink. Our technical
      information is delivered in two major forms: technical bulletins (used
      by field service eingineers (FSEs) and select customers; and training
      materials (used for internal and external training). We’re bringing in
      users who were responsible for processing technical bulletins for our
      FSEs in Word into the Documentation group. Soon, all our technical
      information – whether technical bulletin or training manual – will be
      created in DITA using Arbortext Editor.

      Luckily, it wasn't until after we'd implemented DITA that we
      experienced RIFs in our company. At this time, we can say that even
      with the small number of writers we have – and even though head count
      will not be increasing anytime in the near future, we will still be
      able to meet our deliverables because we’re using DITA.

      In this session, see why our transition to DITA has sparked intense
      interest in Japan, at our sister subsidiaries, to get the source
      materials in XML for better reuse and collaboration and how what we've
      done is spreading to other parts of the enterprise such as our
      Translation department and Technical Training department.