Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

a duh... moment... spoilers for 01x13

Expand Messages
  • pfyre
    after End of Days aired we had much discussion regarding whether or not Bilis Manger was an anagram in the same vein and Torchwood is for Doctor Who... and I
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      after End of Days aired we had much discussion
      regarding whether or not Bilis Manger was an
      anagram in the same vein and Torchwood is for
      Doctor Who... and I had a sudden thought this afternoon....

      Bilis - anagram of Iblis - Iblis was a Jinn, a
      creature made of smokeless fire by God.... He was
      later sent to earth along with Adam and Eve after
      having lured them into eating fruit from the
      forbidden tree.... He replied with saying that he
      wanted to bring the inhabitants of Earth down
      with him, and Allah (God), to test Mankind and
      Jinn, allowed him to roam Earth to attempt to misguide others.
      He tempts humans through his whisper of sinful
      ideas in their head and false suggestion.

      he certainly lured the members of Torchwood down
      the wrong path in regards to the rift

      'Manger' French translation to English: "To Eat"
      - and he was the preparer of the way for Abbadon
      - the destroyer of life - the demon that feasted on life.

      ---

      fascinating how those last two eps still captivate....

      pfyre

      --
      |§fyre <pfyre@...> TechnoMage www.pfyre.co.uk |
      | .. .. .. .. .. .. .. |
      | "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." |
      | .. .. .. .. .. Adam Savage, Mythbusters|

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • donutsweeps
      ... wow, I hadn t thought of any of that! When you look at it that way it makes it even more interesting that he chose not to test Jack.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:
        >
        > after End of Days aired we had much discussion
        > regarding whether or not Bilis Manger was an
        > anagram in the same vein and Torchwood is for
        > Doctor Who... and I had a sudden thought this afternoon....
        >
        > Bilis - anagram of Iblis - Iblis was a Jinn, a
        > creature made of smokeless fire by God.... He was
        > later sent to earth along with Adam and Eve after
        > having lured them into eating fruit from the
        > forbidden tree.... He replied with saying that he
        > wanted to bring the inhabitants of Earth down
        > with him, and Allah (God), to test Mankind and
        > Jinn, allowed him to roam Earth to attempt to misguide others.
        > He tempts humans through his whisper of sinful
        > ideas in their head and false suggestion.
        >
        > he certainly lured the members of Torchwood down
        > the wrong path in regards to the rift
        >
        > 'Manger' French translation to English: "To Eat"
        > - and he was the preparer of the way for Abbadon
        > - the destroyer of life - the demon that feasted on life.
        >
        > ---
        >
        > fascinating how those last two eps still captivate....
        >
        > pfyre
        >
        wow, I hadn't thought of any of that! When you look at it that way
        it makes it even more interesting that he chose not to test Jack.
      • pfyre
        At 12:16 AM 2/4/2007, donutsweeps wrote: ... hmmm... I m not so sure that he chose not to test Jack so much as he was not able to or perhaps capable of doing
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          At 12:16 AM 2/4/2007, donutsweeps wrote:
          ***** BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE *****
          >--- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>after End of Days aired we had much discussion regarding whether or
          >>not Bilis Manger was an anagram in the same vein and Torchwood is for
          >>Doctor Who... and I had a sudden thought this afternoon....
          >>
          >>Bilis - anagram of Iblis - Iblis was a Jinn, a creature made of
          >>smokeless fire by God.... He was later sent to earth along with Adam
          >>and Eve after having lured them into eating fruit from the forbidden
          >>tree.... He replied with saying that he wanted to bring the
          >>inhabitants of Earth down with him, and Allah (God), to test Mankind
          >>and Jinn, allowed him to roam Earth to attempt to misguide others. He
          >>tempts humans through his whisper of sinful ideas in their head and
          >>false suggestion.
          >>
          >>he certainly lured the members of Torchwood down the wrong path in
          >>regards to the rift
          >>
          >>'Manger' French translation to English: "To Eat" - and he was the
          >>preparer of the way for Abbadon - the destroyer of life - the demon
          >>that feasted on life.
          >>
          >>---
          >>
          >>fascinating how those last two eps still captivate....
          >>
          >>pfyre
          >
          >wow, I hadn't thought of any of that! When you look at it that way it
          >makes it even more interesting that he chose not to test Jack.

          hmmm... I'm not so sure that 'he chose not to test Jack' so much as he
          was not able to or perhaps capable of doing so - from what we witnessed
          in eps 12 & 13 - it would appear that he was capable of telepathy or at
          least a mental 'invasion' of the team members - and yet from episode 7
          (Greeks Bearing Gifts) we know that when Tosh tried to use the necklace
          to read Jack's thoughts she got nothing - Jack on the other hand was
          aware of her efforts -- now either this is a result of his training as
          a Time Agent, a sort of adaptation that has happened to humans by the
          time the 51st century arrives, something he picked up/learned along the
          journey of his life or perhaps a by-product of his immortality -- in
          any case - perhaps Bilis's ability to probe the thoughts/psyche of the
          team is limited and he was not able to do the same for Jack (otherwise
          he would have provided Jack with an image of the Doctor advising him to
          open the Rift I'm certain)

          jmo
          pfyre - still enthralled by eps 12 & 13 - and who now needs to go back
          and watch 7 as well :D
        • debrabant_foundation
          These are really interesting thoughts. I am about to watch eps 12-13 in their entirety. (I had only watched bits and pieces, but now I have finally watched
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            These are really interesting thoughts. I am about to watch eps 12-13
            in their entirety. (I had only watched bits and pieces, but now I have
            finally watched the whole series in order)

            I'll defintely have to check these things out.

            Re: Bilis... maybe he's just what John calls him in the
            declassified... "AN EVIL GAY!!!!"

            Sorry, I just got up and I'm still tired... my mind is going weird
            places.

            -Amanda
          • Elizabeth Holden
            ... Perfect! So we were right - Bilis was a sort of anagram after all. Well done, Pfyre. You got it. ... Lots of food for thought. There are many things I
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Pfyre said:

              > > Bilis - anagram of Iblis - Iblis was a Jinn, a
              > > creature made of smokeless fire by God....
              > > He tempts humans through his whisper of sinful
              > > ideas in their head and false suggestion.

              Perfect! So we were right - Bilis was a sort of
              anagram after all. Well done, Pfyre. You got it.

              > > fascinating how those last two eps still
              > captivate....

              Lots of food for thought. There are many things I
              don't like about "End of Days", which is why I keep
              thinking about it - I want to work it all out in my
              head to my own satisfaction.

              One of the things I like about it is the amount of
              mythical imagery - such as you cite, and the Biblical
              analogies. I'm still finding more symbols and ideas.

              I do hope we see Bilis again, in a further episode.


              --- donutsweeps <donutsweeps@...> wrote:

              > wow, I hadn't thought of any of that! When you look
              > at it that way
              > it makes it even more interesting that he chose not
              > to test Jack.

              I think he tried to test Jack, and failed, or at least
              partially failed. For some reason, it isn't possib;e
              to read Jack's mind, or directly influence it. (Cf.
              "Greeks Bearing Gifts"). I would guess Bilis didn't
              even know about Jack's connection to the Doctor -
              though he must have known he was a time traveller. So
              Bilis could only work with Jack by putting him under
              superficial emotional stress - hench Jack's outburst
              to the others on the team, where he berated them for
              their misdeeds that he'd previously let slide, or had
              been understanding about.

              In other words, Bilis was able to stir up negative
              feelings in Jack, but not to access his psyche, his
              thoughts or his past.

              namaste,
              Elizabeth
            • Russ
              debrabant_foundation wrote: These are really interesting thoughts. I am about to watch eps 12-13 in their entirety. (I had
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                debrabant_foundation <debrabant_foundation@...> wrote: These are really interesting thoughts. I am about to watch eps 12-13
                in their entirety. (I had only watched bits and pieces, but now I have
                finally watched the whole series in order)

                I'll defintely have to check these things out.

                Re: Bilis... maybe he's just what John calls him in the
                declassified... "AN EVIL GAY!!!!"

                Sorry, I just got up and I'm still tired... my mind is going weird
                places.

                -Amanda



                I loved that line!


                Russ

                Television, a medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well
                done.
                -- Ernie Kovacs

                ---------------------------------
                8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • donutsweeps
                ... as he ... witnessed ... or at ... episode 7 ... necklace ... was ... training as ... the ... along the ... in ... the ... (otherwise ... him to ... back
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > At 12:16 AM 2/4/2007, donutsweeps wrote:
                  > ***** BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE *****
                  > >--- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > hmmm... I'm not so sure that 'he chose not to test Jack' so much
                  as he
                  > was not able to or perhaps capable of doing so - from what we
                  witnessed
                  > in eps 12 & 13 - it would appear that he was capable of telepathy
                  or at
                  > least a mental 'invasion' of the team members - and yet from
                  episode 7
                  > (Greeks Bearing Gifts) we know that when Tosh tried to use the
                  necklace
                  > to read Jack's thoughts she got nothing - Jack on the other hand
                  was
                  > aware of her efforts -- now either this is a result of his
                  training as
                  > a Time Agent, a sort of adaptation that has happened to humans by
                  the
                  > time the 51st century arrives, something he picked up/learned
                  along the
                  > journey of his life or perhaps a by-product of his immortality --
                  in
                  > any case - perhaps Bilis's ability to probe the thoughts/psyche of
                  the
                  > team is limited and he was not able to do the same for Jack
                  (otherwise
                  > he would have provided Jack with an image of the Doctor advising
                  him to
                  > open the Rift I'm certain)
                  >
                  > jmo
                  > pfyre - still enthralled by eps 12 & 13 - and who now needs to go
                  back
                  > and watch 7 as well :D
                  >
                  true, he may not have been able to 'test' Jack. We know Torchwood
                  agents (as seen in DW) were not fooled by psychic paper so
                  presumedly they had had some training in blocking out that sort of
                  thing, although Ianto still saw Lisa... so maybe that idea is rubbish
                  It's possible that Jack is just too moral. Sure he tells Gwen he
                  might have opened the rift for the right kind of doctor, but would
                  he really have done such a horrible thing to help himself? Even
                  back on Satellitte 5 he was willing to die for the greater good,
                  would he have let the greater good die for him?
                • pfyre
                  At 10:00 AM 2/4/2007, Elizabeth Holden wrote: ... the funny thing about it - I wasn t looking for Bilis (aka Iblis) when I started searching again yesterday -
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    At 10:00 AM 2/4/2007, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
                    ***** BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE *****
                    >Pfyre said:
                    >
                    >>>Bilis - anagram of Iblis - Iblis was a Jinn, a creature made of
                    >>>smokeless fire by God.... He tempts humans through his whisper of
                    >>>sinful ideas in their head and false suggestion.
                    >
                    >Perfect! So we were right - Bilis was a sort of anagram after
                    >all. Well done, Pfyre. You got it.

                    the funny thing about it - I wasn't looking for Bilis (aka Iblis) when
                    I started searching again yesterday - I was looking up 'manger' cause I
                    happened to catch a translation of a 'keep dry' packet that said "DO
                    NOT EAT" in English and "NE PAS MANGER" in French....

                    >>>fascinating how those last two eps still captivate....
                    >
                    >Lots of food for thought. There are many things I don't like about
                    >"End of Days", which is why I keep thinking about it - I want to work
                    >it all out in my head to my own satisfaction.

                    yeah - there a number of things I don't like in them either but when
                    the rest so captivates me - I tend to be able to overlook the
                    inadequacies so to speak -- though I still find almost anything to do
                    with Gwen(Eve) quite maddening -- four instances off the top of my head
                    - one when she's in Bilis's office in 1x12 - she says "he does look a
                    bit out of his time.... he wears a cravaTTT!" with major overemphasis
                    on the damned T - when Jack and Tosh reappear in the present day
                    outside the Ritz - she comes running up to them and starts immediately
                    babbling (paraphrase) "you made it!... you're back..." blah blah blah -
                    for a character that is supposed to the be the 'heart' of the Torchwood
                    team - the one who is to help them reconnect with humanity - she's
                    amazingly OBLIVIOUS to Jack's obvious distress -- and then in 1x13 -
                    when Jack is dead on the floor - she is all set to press the 'start'
                    button (and just how did she end up being the sudden wiz of all things
                    Torchwood on the computer anyway?) and she looks longingly/lovingly
                    over at Rhys's dead body in the autopsy area and we the audience can
                    see the barest hint of Jack's hand at the bottom of the frame - hello?
                    sorry I know she's supposed to be 'mad' with grief over Rhys but she
                    has NO thought whatsoever over what Owen did to Jack? she doesn't give
                    a damn that her boss is lying there dead? -- and then in the reunion
                    scene - when Jack is holding Owen as the man is crying - they pan back
                    across the faces of the Team and Gwen(Eve) looks more bored and/or
                    embarrassed than sympathetic or at least interested in what is
                    happening....

                    what is even more maddening to me as a fan of the show is to read the
                    three tie-in novels and each and everyone again seems to love to
                    emphasize Gwen and/or Rhys - sigh - even in the 'officially' released
                    fiction they're fixated on that damned character....

                    sigh - sorry.... switching off the Gwen rant mode now...

                    >One of the things I like about it is the amount of mythical imagery -
                    >such as you cite, and the Biblical analogies. I'm still finding more
                    >symbols and ideas.

                    oh there were a ton of mythical imagery, biblical imagery in those eps
                    - including things like Jack washing the blood from Gwen's hands in the
                    autopsy area - made me thing of Jesus washing the feet of his disciples
                    - Jack's position (other than on his knees) with his arms outstretched
                    made me think of the crucifixion position - Jack's resurrection after a
                    number of days of being dead with Gwen sitting vigil - again harkening
                    back to Jesus and the preparing of his body - the watch the women and
                    his disciples kept on the tomb, etc.

                    and while not biblical - I did like Jack meeting Owen halfway on that
                    walkway in the reunion scene - symbolically willing meet Owen halfway

                    >I do hope we see Bilis again, in a further episode.

                    it would be interesting to see if he reappears or if he was destroyed
                    with Abbadon when Jack's immortal lifeforce overwhelmed the creature

                    >--- donutsweeps <donutsweeps@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>wow, I hadn't thought of any of that! When you look at it that way
                    >>it makes it even more interesting that he chose not to test Jack.
                    >
                    >I think he tried to test Jack, and failed, or at least partially
                    >failed. For some reason, it isn't possib;e to read Jack's mind, or
                    >directly influence it. (Cf. "Greeks Bearing Gifts"). I would guess
                    >Bilis didn't even know about Jack's connection to the Doctor - though
                    >he must have known he was a time traveller. So Bilis could only work
                    >with Jack by putting him under superficial emotional stress - hench
                    >Jack's outburst to the others on the team, where he berated them for
                    >their misdeeds that he'd previously let slide, or had been
                    >understanding about.
                    >
                    >In other words, Bilis was able to stir up negative feelings in Jack,
                    >but not to access his psyche, his thoughts or his past.

                    that does make sense - that he was able to exert some influence but not
                    in the way he would've preferred I'm certain

                    then again Jack's anger and use of those hurtful incidences to taunt
                    the other team members could be attributed to the fact that he feels
                    personally betrayed by each and every member of the team at that moment
                    and is striking out in his own very real anger or feels that by making
                    these mentions he can snap them out of their fixation on opening the
                    rift??

                    just some thoughts
                    pfyre
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.