Re: Jack / Ianto thoughts

  • donutsweeps
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "debrabant_foundation"
      <debrabant_foundation@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking... I haven't watched all the eps yet (had some
      > distractions)
      > But... other than the "mouth to mouth" Jack gives Ianto in
      Cyberwoman,
      > is there any other on screen indications of anything going on
      between
      > them until the end of They Keep Killing Suzie? Ianto still seems
      quite
      > shaken up in Countrycide and he isn't really in Small World too
      much
      > (cept when both he and Jack find each other at the Hub at night,
      but
      > neither seems to be expecting the other to be there)
      > I didn't see anything. So it seems to just come out of nowhere.

      I had always wondered that as well. There is the slightest hint
      that they have something from the very beginning, when Jack
      introduces Ianto to Gwen when he says "and he looks good in a suit"
      to which Ianto replies (with a smile) "Careful, that's harassment
      sir." But there is an easy banter, a teasing way about it...
      then in the second episode when they are all discussing Jack's sex
      life over chinese food, Tosh says Owen think's Jack is gay, but she
      thinks he'll shag anything thats gorgeous and Ianto says "And I
      don't care" very quickly, almost too quickly.
      Obviously in both those scenes he still has Lisa, so is probably not
      involved with Jack in anyway but maybe it implies the undertones are
      there.

      > Did I miss something. We go from Ianto clearly being in love with
      Lisa
      > (that was her name, right?) in Cyberwoman, to him making a not-so-
      > clearly veiled proposition to Jack at the end of They Keep Killing
      > Suzie.
      >
      > I know I probably missed something. I would love to see the
      character
      > of Ianto explored a bit more. He really intrigues me. Any
      thoughts?

      The only other thing I can think of is in "Cyberwoman" when Jack is
      trying to raise Ianto over the comms and says something about
      wanting to hear Ianto's lovely Welch vowels or something like that,
      it could be taken jokeingly, or perhaps alluding to something else.
      But, Jack seemed happily suprised by Ianto's suggestion at the end
      of "They keep killing Susie" so I don't think you (or I) missed any
      overt clues regarding the relationship between Jack and Ianto.
      And I agree, I'd love to see Ianto more, he barely appears in a lot
      of the episodes
      > Oh, and on that note... I am working on a video for Ianto and I
      can't
      > seem to come up with a song. Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > -Amanda

    • Elizabeth Holden
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- donutsweeps <donutsweeps@...> wrote:

        > There is the slightest hint
        > that they have something from the very beginning,
        > when Jack introduces Ianto to Gwen when he says
        > "and he looks good in a suit"
        > to which Ianto replies (with a smile) "Careful,
        > that's harassment sir."

        Flirting. I take it that Jack has been casually
        flirting with Ianto all along, Ianto has been enjoying
        it without taking it seriously.

        > Jack is trying to raise Ianto over the comms and
        > says something about
        > wanting to hear Ianto's lovely Welch vowels or
        > something like that, it could be taken jokeingly,

        I always like that line because I love Ianto's accent
        too. I put that down to more flirting on Jack's part
        - he is *just beginning* to think something's wrong in
        the Hub and is keeping it light because he's starting
        to worry.

        > And I agree, I'd love to see Ianto more, he barely
        > appears in a lot of the episodes

        I watched one episode with a friend who'd never seen
        the show and she asked me, "Does Ianto ever get to
        speak?" That was in "Combat", where I thought he had
        more lines than usual!

        So what is Ianto's best line? I rather like "Of
        course, bananas are far more interesting," but he does
        have some other lovely ones. Hmm. No, I retract that,
        I think my favourite might be "gloves come in pairs".
        And the classic: "I still have my stopwatch."

        namaste,
        Elizabeth
      • Elizabeth Holden
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
          Amanda said:

          > Thanks for the thoughts on Ianto... I really like
          > his character.

          I do too. We don't get to know him very well but I
          love his formal manner combined with his cute sense of
          humour. And those great Welsh vowels. I loved
          "Cyberwoman" as an episode but I think it was
          "Countricide" where I really came to love Ianto as
          both a man and a hero.

          > Hmmmm, good idea. I have John's Cole Porter CD... I
          > have to look into
          > that and see if anything fits with the video clips I
          > have.

          Yes!

          > Guess what I'm doing tonight? ;-)

          May the force be with you.

          >(I am actually working on another
          > Jack vid now that I have Doctor Who too.)

          Oh, cool! (Jack/Doctor is my favourite pairing.)

          namaste,
          Elizabeth
        • Jackie Moleski
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
            debrabant_foundation wrote:

            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...> wrote:
            >
            > > The music vids I most love are the ones that use John
            > > Barrowman songs, especially the Cole Porter CD. I
            > > wish he'd recorded "I Get a Kick Out of You" - I think
            > > that one would be terrific for Jack, especially the
            > > verse:
            >
            > Thanks for the thoughts on Ianto... I really like his character.
            >
            > Hmmmm, good idea. I have John's Cole Porter CD... I have to look into
            > that and see if anything fits with the video clips I have.
            >
            > Guess what I'm doing tonight? ;-) (I am actually working on another
            > Jack vid now that I have Doctor Who too.)
            >
            > -Amanda
            >
            > __.I have

            I have several ideas for *Doctor Who* vids (both classic and new series
            clips). I'm hoping to get some help from my cousin to put them together
            (not to mention how I'll upload them to the net!).

            But some ideas I have are:

            Song title: "Slime Creatures from Outer Space"
            Artist: Weird Al Yankovic
            vid style: funny
            Comments: Come on, with lyrics like "things just haven't been the same,
            since the flying saucers came" and "They were fuzzy, they were mean,
            biggest heads I've ever seen". It's a natural.
            Years and years ago, I thought this song would be fun for an *X-files*
            vid, but it's even more appropriate for *DW*.

            Song title: Baby Grand
            Artist: Billy Joel & Ray Charles
            vid style: serious but not angsty
            Comments: Who (or what) is the ONE constant in the Doctor's life? What
            he's *always* relied on? Why the TARDIS of course. So I'd like to take
            the Joel/Charles duet about a piano being the love of their lives and
            use it for DW.
            By the bye-- anyone who can *remember* good TARDIS scenes, feel free to
            e-mail me on or off list. I plan on using McCoy's scene in the McGann
            movie, as well as other scenes (both interiors and exteriors) but I'm
            having a hard time remembering specific episodes.
            Two scenes I'm looking for-- Davison standing behind the console,
            nothing happens, he hits the console with his hand, and THEN it starts
            going up and down. I definately remember it, but I can't figure out the
            ep. And the Colin Baker ep where we find out the TARDIS has seat belts
            (he and Peri hook-up to the console using something that looks like a
            bungee cord).

            So-- good ideas?

            Thanks,

            --Jackie