Sarah Jane and Captain Jack

  • starhawk2197
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22 7:16 PM
      Having Sarah Jane Smith show up in a few episodes of Torchwood makes
      sense in a way that few other past companions could. Sarah Jane, like
      Captain Jack, or the Doctor, is a character of a type that has
      adventures on their own.

      Leela, Ace, Jo, Jamie, the Brigadier, and Steven, are all folks
      that embrace adventure. But with the exception of Ace, their life
      roles, tribal warrior, intellegence operative intern, piper/warrior,
      millitary leader, millitary pilot, all keep these folks busy. Real
      adventure is the exception. Even for someone like Jo.

      Barbara, Ian, Polly, Zoe, Liz, Harry, Romana, Tegan, Nyssa, Peri,
      and Rose, all found they could embrace adventure, but without the
      accident of meeting the Doctor, they'd have prefered ordered calm.

      Sarah Jane, like Jack, is a not just a character but also a type
      of character. Sarah Jane Smithis the plucky girl reporter (fresh from
      her first consciousness raising seminar). Sarah Jane Smith, reporter,
      is naturally going to be looking into the same things Jack is, and both
      of them are looking into the stuff that attracts the Doctor. It's a
      wonder they don't run into each other more often!

      Teaming Sarah Jane with K9 was a mistake. Mike Yates should have
      been sent by K'Anpo Rinpoche (a Timelord, a mentor of the Doctor's who
      lived in Tibet) to teach Sarah Jane some low level, but useful, psi
      powers. Enough power to get her into adventures/trouble, but not enough
      to get her back out without useing her wits.

      Anyway, Sarah Jane Smith is a great background character, she
      should show up a little. Also Jack should claim to have had affairs
      with both Johnny Chess and Tegan Jovanka!
    • The Doctor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23 4:00 AM
        While I'd love to see SJS appear as a regular / semi-regular
        in "Torchwood", I have to admit I'm biased. Sarah Jane was my "first"
        (companion, that is), so I'd love to see Lis Sladen appear in pretty
        much anything (haven't seen the team-ups w/ K-9, so...).

        I think it'd be interesting to see CJ hook up w/ The Brig & SJS & kinda
        relive their glory days, so to speak (if it's already been mentioned,
        pardon my repeating is; I don't really have the time to keep up with
        pre-production these days).

        Enough rambling... need more coffee!

        -- The Doctor
      • Patrick Power
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24 1:44 AM
          I wouldn't mind seeing SJS back either. It would kind of fit in with the SJS audio adventures from Big Finish that I have heard about, too.

          The Doctor <doctorwholittle@...> wrote:
          While I'd love to see SJS appear as a regular / semi-regular
          in "Torchwood", I have to admit I'm biased. Sarah Jane was my "first"
          (companion, that is), so I'd love to see Lis Sladen appear in pretty
          much anything (haven't seen the team-ups w/ K-9, so...).

          I think it'd be interesting to see CJ hook up w/ The Brig & SJS & kinda
          relive their glory days, so to speak (if it's already been mentioned,
          pardon my repeating is; I don't really have the time to keep up with
          pre-production these days).

          Enough rambling... need more coffee!

          -- The Doctor

          Patrick Power
          http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

          American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
          http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

          Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.