Re: [torchwood] MD

  • dizzheart
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 15, 2013
      I guess I'm in the minority.  I like Gwen Cooper and I think Eve Myles is an OK actress.  Gwen's a much better character, played by a much better actress, than the usual female sidekick.  She has dimension.  She does wrong things.  (In Hollywood that would include keeping the gap between her front teeth.)  She's gutsy and persistent.  I find some of her adventures improbable (getting pregnant and taking the risk of being an active field member of the team, for instance), but overall she seems quite real to me, in a way that the airbrushed beauties of US sf do not.

      As I see it, the first two years of Torchwood were terrific, Children of Earth was truly outstanding, and then we got Miracle Day - almost not the same show after the folk at Starz got their hands on it (I bet the notes flew).

      I would have to disagree on Mekhi Pfifer too.  No disrespect, but he strikes me as nice enough looking but pretty average.  He didn't belong with that lot.  In general the clash of tone and style between Brit and American elements was jarring.

      RIP Torchwood.

      Janice

    • kaki_four
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 17, 2013
        I am so enjoying this discussion. I can't stand Gwen, never could for all the reasons listed - mean, selfish, but touted as perfect. I think I could have handled the mean and selfish if she'd not been considered wonderful, if she;d had some redeeming characteristic.

        I haven;t seen Even in much, so no comments from me on that.

        I too wonder what made RTD fall for her and mess up the show so badly. I still miss Ianto, but after all these years I'm finally reading Janto again.

        Did not watch MD again; once was enough. I am watching the eps from the 1st two seasons that I have saved.

        Kaki

        ---- "pfyre@..." <pfyre@...> wrote:
        > The truth behind the origins of 'Torchwood' or 'Excalibur' as it was originally titled when first pedaled to TPTB at the BBC by RTD has been discussed, dissected, debated and bandied about since pretty much since Torchwood premiered on BBC3.

        big snip