RE: [torchwood] MD

  • Diana Williams
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 15, 2013
      Unfortunately, what pfyre said is true. RTD originally spun a series with
      Eve called "Excalibur". When that didn't sell, he spun "Torchwood" with her
      as the second lead and the "Heart of Torchwood". He has talked about both
      of those things in interviews, although of course he gave it a different
      spin. He really does think that she is the best Welsh actress ever. I have
      no idea why. Gwen was also supposed to be everyone's love interest (and
      Ianto was supposed to be an elderly "Alfred" type character who dies in the
      Cyberwoman episode) which is why the affair with Owen happened.
      Unfortunately for Ianto, the fans and the people at the BBC liked Ianto more
      than Gwen. No one has said anything publicly, but a lot of people think
      that's why Ianto died in Children of Earth.

      Diana
    • kaki_four
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 17, 2013
        I am so enjoying this discussion. I can't stand Gwen, never could for all the reasons listed - mean, selfish, but touted as perfect. I think I could have handled the mean and selfish if she'd not been considered wonderful, if she;d had some redeeming characteristic.

        I haven;t seen Even in much, so no comments from me on that.

        I too wonder what made RTD fall for her and mess up the show so badly. I still miss Ianto, but after all these years I'm finally reading Janto again.

        Did not watch MD again; once was enough. I am watching the eps from the 1st two seasons that I have saved.

        Kaki

        ---- "pfyre@..." <pfyre@...> wrote:
        > The truth behind the origins of 'Torchwood' or 'Excalibur' as it was originally titled when first pedaled to TPTB at the BBC by RTD has been discussed, dissected, debated and bandied about since pretty much since Torchwood premiered on BBC3.

        big snip