Miracle Day

  • dizzheart
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013
      For those who never saw it, or want to, BBC America is running Miracle Day beginning September 14. Trailer ads feature Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper, have one short shot of Rex, and none that I could see of Bill Pullman's character. So it seems BBC America got what was unique about Torchwood - pity Starz didn't.

      Janice
    • beatlefanfcb
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013

        If you watch this mess you will regret it.  Don't say you have not been warned.

        Given the apparent demise of Torchwood could we hope that Captain Jack might return to Doctor Who?

        Frank Caesar Branchini

        Edgewater, MD  USA

      • Leanne Wilensky

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
            Even so, Can't they finish the damn story!?

            its the cliffhanger that leaves even more questions with no chance of answers!

            Earth2 ended the same way.....

            Bill S.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
              Oddly, I liked Miracle Day. Was it perfect? Hardly. Could it have been squeezed down to 6 or 8 eps? Absolutely.

              On the other hand, if the Beeb had shown an inkling of support for the show which had done so spectacularly well on BBC3 then BBC2, etc. then maybe it would have remained UK based,  etc.

              Frankly, RTD needed to get his head out of  his arse regarding Eve and Gwen because frankly the show has suffered from its inception with his glorification of a character that has so thoroughly polarized the viewers. There are some eps that make me want to throw objects at the screen because of Gwen's selfishness, cruelty and self-righteousness. And it has only gotten worse with each succeeding series.

              Personally I'll be checking MD out on BBC America if only to see what it will be edited out so all those commercials can be squeezed in.

              pfyre

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                  Considering the amount of commercials shown in the states, Id almost bet they have to add content so it fits the time slots!

                  Bill S.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                    Total agreement.  I lost about ten hours of my life when it was originally on that I will never get back.  My best friend was excited to tell me that it was going to be on BBCA and I just told her "so what" and then spent another hour trying to explain why I really didn't want to see it ever again.
                    Learn the rules so you know how to
                    break them properly
                    --Dalai Lama

                    ThistleThorne
                    ThistleThorne@...
                    http://www.fanfiction.net/~thistlethorne
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                      It was like a lot of things I see these days.  A few good bits interspersed with stuff that's boring or induces tooth grinding.

                      I watched Broadchurch via dvd.  What a well done show.  Then I watched an episode on BBC America.  It was all chopped up, interrupted, didn't flow, and I suspect scenes were missing or truncated.  I shouldn't wonder if the US thinks it's a crummy show because the editing was so bad and it was never structured for commercial breaks to begin with.

                      Miracle Day won't benefit from this either.  (Unless the scenes they clip are Rex's)

                      If BBC America wanted to please American fans of Brit drama, they'd structure their slots to fit the shows, not the other way around.  If they can't run shows uninterrupted, then at least run block commercials at beginning and end, with one or two long breaks during, and allot enough time, so the flow of the episode isn't fractured.  (As they have done once or twice with Doctor Who episodes.)

                      However, there aren't enough of us apparently.  We can barely keep PBS alive.

                      I note that some Brit drama miniseries end up intact on the Encore basic cable channels on Sundays, but of course, there's no knowing what they'll pick up or when they'll run it.

                      Janice

                      In a message dated 9/14/2013 6:31:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ThistleThorne@... writes:

                      Total agreement.  I lost about ten hours of my life when it was originally on that I will never get back.  My best friend was excited to tell me that it was going to be on BBCA and I just told her "so what" and then spent another hour trying to explain why I really didn't want to see it ever again.
                      javascript:void(0)
                    • Robert A. Rosenberg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                        Re: [torchwood] Miracle Day
                        At 17:30 -0700 on 09/14/2013, Bill Skoros wrote about Re: [torchwood] Miracle Day:

                        Considering the amount of commercials shown in the states, Id almost bet they have to add content so it fits the time slots!

                        This was originally shown on Starz (which is a cable channel) so the amount of commercials is dependent on the amount of time devoted to non-content on that channel. Also, the same ratio that BBCA uses. If they are the same there is no need for trimming the content or padding it.

                        Bill S.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                          Re: [torchwood] Miracle Day
                          At 21:31 -0400 on 09/14/2013, Thistlethorne wrote about Re: [torchwood] Miracle Day:

                          Total agreement.  I lost about ten hours of my life when it was originally on that I will never get back.  My best friend was excited to tell me that it was going to be on BBCA and I just told her "so what" and then spent another hour trying to explain why I really didn't want to see it ever again.

                          Check out your local library system (or Blockbuster) to see if you can get the DVD. That way she can view it at her own pace and decide for herself. Also check out your favorite BitTorrent server to get computer viewable DVD and/or BluRay rips or copies of the Broadcast recordings if you can not get the DVDs.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
                            As I recall, the eps ran around 50 minutes including beginning and end titles. Since eps shown on premium cable networks don't have to worry about building in commercial time, episodes are not written, filmed or edited to allow for the normal amount of commercial time.

                            So yes there was some editing in episode one.  It appeared to be on the whole subtle - more a tightening of scenes (trimming of a few seconds here and there) and shortening of transitions and my friend that I was watching the ep with says there was one minor scene missing. I'd have to go back and rewatch the original broadcast to confirm any other edits.

                            pfyre

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 15, 2013
                              I completely agree with you.  A person should be able to view a program and decide for themselves what they like (or don't like, as the case may be) about it.  When I see a lot of negative comments being posted about a show such as Miracle Day, it only makes me want to see it, just so I can see what the fuss is all about.

                              That being said, I think Miracle Day could have been a much better show, but it's still not as bad as other things I've seen.  Frances Fisher's character was horribly underutilized, and Gwen seems to be changing into someone I think most men should be very afraid of, but there was a thinly disguised, feature-length Scientology infomercial otherwise known as Battlefield: Earth several years ago that is far more deserving of negative comments than Miracle Day is.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
                                I wonder if it had been left at its original 5 hours if it would've been better.